not bad from dell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by superted666, Aug 3, 2006.

1. superted666 Guest

superted666

2. Mac Rules macrumors 6502

Mac Rules

Hmmm, I'm not sure what to make of it.... Its cool, but I think slightly ugly, I'm undecided... Should be quite pricy though...

Cheers

3. Kaioshin macrumors member

Kaioshin

Not bad at all. It took me a while to realize what it actually was. A refreshing step from the "norm".

4. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

I still don't know how I feel about these 20" 'laptops.' The 17"ers are already pushing it, and you can't really justify having one of these for any reason other than requiring an easily-moved desktop. Of course, then you could just get an iMac. ;)

I do kinda like the handle, though. A nice kickback to the days of the clamshell iBooks (though they were more stylish - even in tangerine :eek: ).

5. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Sorry, didn't notice this before. Price was listed at £1,999.

6. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Personally I think it looks clunky, but I also feel that way about the G5 iMacs. I really dislike the huge gap between the base and the screen, although it is nice to see something that is not this:

[​IMG]

7. Maxiseller macrumors 6502a

Maxiseller

IMHO it's still a feeble attempt at an all in one. The entire footprint would be that of a normal CRT - what is the point? Who wants to type that close to the screen anyway exept on a laptop? My keyboard and mouse are like a metre away from my Display.

It still amazes me how far away other manufacturers are in terms of design and ergonomics from Apple. We take the iMac for granted we really do...!

8. baleensavage macrumors 6502a

I think there was a forum post about this before (they called it an iMac ripoff). Anyway, I think the idea is a nice one, but the execution, is well, very Dell. I for one would like to see a portable computer that's not a laptop. Laptops are difficult to use for an extended period of time because they are an ergonomics nightmare. Sure you can plug in a keyboard and monitor but that defeats the whole idea of portable. This is nice because it all folds up into a briefcase like thing but unfolds into a regular desktop. If Apple put their minds to designing something like this (or even an affordable MacMini peripheral set that all went into a carrying case) then we could really expect something awesome.

9. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Thats not bad at all....for a desktop but nothing more.

Bless

10. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

to sum it up in haiku form:

very pathetic
    dell is trying very hard
    to be like apple

it's actually not too bad, i would just never buy it. 20" for a "laptop" seems too much for me. i prefer the smaller notebooks... 12" - 15" at the most. of course, i wouldn't say no if you gave it to me :)

11. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    I actually like it.

If it ran OS X, it would be a really nice machine.

I wish I could fold up my Powermac and bring it to the studio for recording...

12. cwedl macrumors 65816

cwedl

I still think its ugly in a way, still too many edges, doesn't flow well. whats so good about black and silver together, I like 1 colour designs! plain and simple not insane and nimble!

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

It's not too fugly and at least it has a decent chance of being reliable and is properly supported! Shame about XP though... I wonder if there's a way of running OS X on that sucker as I'd jump at it.

Let me tell you a comparative story:

My Latitude failed recently. HDD. I was kind of ready for it as it was clonking. I called Dell, they said an engineer will be with me the next day. He was. He replaced the HDD, put the OS / default software back on, but found another minor problem - so said he will return. I got a courtesy call from the support informing me the following day that the parts were available and would be dispatched to me, along with another engineer visit. He was there. Various parts were replaced and the laptop was up and running that day.

My Macbook failed recently. Wouldn't turn on, dead. I called Apple, they said they would pick it up the following day. They did. I asked when it would come back. They said they couldn't tell me but about a week. 5 days later I called. No, not ready. 7 days later, I called, no, not ready. 9 days later, I called. No, not ready. 11 days later I called and they said it had been dispatched. I finally got it after that.

And that's just the Macbook - not the problems I've had with the iMacs and the MBP. Dell know how to deal with professionals and they extend a good deal of that support to home users too. The ultimate insult? The support upgrade for Latitude cost less than Applecare for the Macbook.

14. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

For 3 grand I'd load up a macbook pro. INstead of buying that Dell :cool:

15. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

At first sight it looks like a Laptop gone wrong. There is actually nothing about this design I like. I don't even know how to categorize this design. Retro 80's maybe...and the 80's were bad IMHO.

A good start for Dell maybe in a few years everybody is using it.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

It's not that bad, but who wants something that big? Hmm...a mild thumbs down.

17. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

I saw this when it first came out, and I was like, nah!!!! For one thing, I want something that I can take to class, like a MBP. ;)

18. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

For three grand you couldn't pick that Dell up. At £1999 it's closer to $4K ($3,700 or so). You could load up your MacBook Pro and still have change left over for a 21" monitor if you were going to spring for the Dell.

19. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Besides, though you could transport it...would you really want to? I would NOT want to carry it around. What's the max RAM on it anyways? 2 GB? 4 GB?

20. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

21. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Regardless, you probably wouldn't want to move further than about 5 feet from an electric outlet. The thing can't get much more than 45 min. on battery. :rolleyes:

22. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

Ok, I take it back. They say that it can supposedly get just over 3 hours on battery. I wonder who sold their soul to make that happen.

And 2GB is the only RAM amount it can have from the look of things. It comes with that amount and it says it's not expandable. Who knows why not, but that's just how it is.

23. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Sort of reminds me of a 2006 version of the 20th Anniversary Mac, sort of glad they moved the guts to the KB side and got rid of those ugly speakers.

24. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Same thought here, there is no way I would be lugging that thing around with me. :rolleyes: :)

25. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

Not that bad for a desktop. But i am really not liking the placement of the trackpad.