not buying anymore :(

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by direzz, Jan 31, 2006.

1. direzz macrumors 6502

sadly, apple doesn't offer education discounts to highschool students.
    looks like im not getting my mac book pro after all. this really makes me sad because i really did want one.

but its $2299 canadian, which is $2700+ with tax.

oh well :( looks like im not switching to the Mac OS platform anymore.

2. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

Oh I'm sorry to hear that. Don't give up hope though, you can still buy a cheaper iBook or wait until they come out with the Intel iBooks and see what the prices are.

3. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

Well, you could order from the Apple online store and still get your education discount. There's really no way that Apple can tell whether you're a college student or a high school student (or for that matter, even a student at all!).

4. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

true, even though the pro machine would be nice. although if the new ibook designs are nice i just might consider it.

5. excalibur313 macrumors 6502a

excalibur313

Right, just do it online or over the phone.

6. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

hmm i didnt think of this. maybe i can still get a mac book pro after all :D

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

It could work, except they ask for your institution, and could check to make sure you're a student there.
    And that is quite the sales tax rate. :eek:

8. myshoeshurt macrumors regular

myshoeshurt

the online store asks for your school and student ID...

9. nsknike macrumors regular

Or since the edu discount is only $300, do you think that you could wait like 1-2 months then get one, or ask your parents for a little extra money and tell them that its your b-day present for the year?

Also when I order mine online with the discount they didn't ask me for my student id. I wasn't even in the school yet but I had been accepted, so that isn't cheating.

10. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

I ordered an iBook and an iPod mini this past summer and was not asked for a student ID at all. I was asked for a school name, but I could have put any random school in and it wouldn't have made a difference. By the way, I am a college student.

11. ieani macrumors 6502a

ieani

American one doesnt.

12. matperk macrumors 6502

no it didn't. :confused:

13. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

hm canandian one does... :(

14. p0intblank macrumors 68030

Is this from experience because I have never had to input my student ID before?

15. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

hm my bday passed lol. but i could always just keep working but it really suks dropping 2500 like that yanno? id like to at least have some money in the bank

16. steelphantom macrumors 6502a

steelphantom

We showed him, didn't we? :p

17. iGary Guest

iGary

OK, lets dispell any myths here...

If you order online it is on the HONOR system. No ID check, no phone call to institution...NADA.

I order with an edu discount because I give one lecture a year at the local community college. :D

Gotta love it. :)

But, no, they don't check if you order online. Let your kharma rule your decision. ;)

18. nsknike macrumors regular

Yeah I know dropping $2500 is hard but I bought my powerbook last summer and with the discount it cost 2699 before tax and I got a bigger hard drive. And to thing I was only going to get a 12" ibook to start off with. :)

19. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Maybe you don't need the power of the MBP and could aim for something....cheaper?

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well don't give up hope. if you can wait for the ibooks, or a rebate on amazon, or something, it'll be worth the wait. (even though i know it's hard to wait)

21. matperk macrumors 6502

lol - we all posted at the same time.

Just being accepted at a school is a qualification for edu. discount. Are you younger than "acceptance" age?

22. direzz thread starter macrumors 6502

well i dont really use low end computers...
    my pc is at 3.06 ghz with a 250 gb hard drive
    constant photoshop and maya 3d softwar is in use

i really would like to switch to a pro apple machine

23. portent macrumors 6502a

So...you'll only buy if you can get a discount you're not actually eligible for?

Why not just go to your local Apple store, bring a handgun, wave it in the clerk's face, and get yourself a 100% discount? If you're going to cheat, go for the big time!

24. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

if it has a pentium 4 and a 250gb i'm assuming it's a desktop machine? why not an imac core duo? it'd be a lot cheaper...heck, an imac+an old g3 ibook or low end pc lappy for portability would still be cheaper than a macbook pro...

also, got any friends in college? you could "give him very generously" the cost, then he'll "give you a macbook pro" for free. ;)

25. nsknike macrumors regular

Ahhh good memories. Last year while visiting Chico, I saw that Mini Ipods only cost $230 and I freaked out. When I went to try and buy one I got rejected when they asked me for my student id card. Well that wasn't the end of that. I walked around the bookstore until I say the first girl I could find. I asked her if she would purchase the item for me, then I would pay her back. Well I went to the counter with her and the guy looked at me and said sorry you can't get one, when the girl turned and replied that she was my girlfriend, and was buying it for me as a one year anniversary gift. :)

Good memories.