not complaining: When will Tiger b safe for timid me?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by California, Sep 26, 2005.

1. California macrumors 68040

California

Okay, this is NOT a whine. Just want the consensus if you guys think that the "bugs" have been worked out of Tiger. Just got thrown by a post from someone with a Tibook who said Tiger made the screen go dim.

I've got my unopened box of Tiger staring at me now. I just don't want any system slowdowns, weird bugginess, etc. Still "scared" of widgets; why do I need them again? And scared of the memory hogginess of Tiger. It takes a lot of bucks to stuff my ibooks and tibooks with memory and to have the OS itself suck it all up for no apparent CPU reason, then I'm sticking to 10.3.9.

2. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

um, 10.4.2 is just fine with me. I use 10.3.9 at school and 10.4.2 at home and I prefer the home os version to the school's one anyday. Do what you want though...

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What do you use your Mac for. Doing web surfing, Office-work, music, iMovie, Garageband, Mail, iCal stuff is fine for me. No problems. :)

4. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I've been using Tiger since 10.4.0 and I've never had any problems with it. I dunno about the memory issue though, depends on how much you have. Oh, and widgets are not scary (except for maybe that halloween counter... :eek: ), and while most of them are not particularly useful, they CAN be lots of fun.
    I say life is too damn short to be living it without spotlight :D

5. Makosuke macrumors 603

If the box is already sitting in front of you and you don't do anything particularly fancy with your computer, then you're probably fine upgrading now. If you want to be really paranoid, you can wait until 10.4.3 shipps, and if there aren't any huge issues (which there probably won't be) upgrade then, but I doubt there's reason to wait any longer than that.

Personally, I've been happy enough with the way 10.4.2 performs on my home and work computers, and really haven't seen any more odd issues than 10.3.9 (though they're *different* issues, amusingly enough--Tiger fixes all the longstanding 10.3 quirks, but has introduced a couple of its own, at least on my home system, which sees a lot more heavy duty use).

6. chucknorris macrumors 6502a

chucknorris

I am very far from a power user, but I still must ask what the big stink about Tiger being "buggy" is all about.

I have NEVER experienced a problem with the OS, and I've used it consistently since May.

Programs have crashed on me, but I've never had anything any remotely attributable to Tiger.

That's just my two cents. I certainly can't defend it from a technical standpoint though.

7. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Why on Earth are you "scared" of widgets :confused:

Why do you need them? You don't need them, but they are a nice feature to have, at least for me. I really haven't noticed any slow downs at all, in fact boot up at that login window thing is WAY faster than Panther was.

BTW, if or when you do upgrade to Tiger, do NOT forgot to back up your data (just incase)!! Good luck though!

:)

8. Mac_Freak macrumors 6502a

As long as you keep in a cage and feed it well, it shouldn't hurt you....ohhh you mean the Mac OS X, well then I can't complain. My experience is really smooth with it. :D

9. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

I updated to Tiger after 10.4.2. No crashes. Did a clean install. Worked well. Don't do an upgrade, and it appears that archive and install "mostly" does it, but I always recommend a clean install. Takes longer but it did it for me.

You'll be ok to upgrade.

How long did it take you to upgrade to 10.3 from 10.2?

10. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

I've been using Tiger since the day it was released, and haven't had any problems with it other than the infamous iPhoto "making edits it's not told to" bug, but that's been fixed now for quite a while.

11. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Don't laugh. I went from 9.2.2 to 10.3.5. Even though I had original OSX discs with my Tibooks.

Obviously, it was traumatic... it is just that I need all my old 9 Word files, going back to the 80s, invaluable research. Lots of stuff on FLOPPY and stable, btw. Though much backed up to cd.

12. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I heard that widgets are a security risk as well as memory hog. Looking for as much speed as possible doing my work, and as noted before, even with upgraded hard drives, memory topped out, Word runs very slow on the Mac. Also don't like Safari slow downs hold ups.

I'm just not so sure I'm going to be brave enough when I already have a smooth sail with Panther in my laptops.

13. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

widgets being a security risk was a limited, and short time thing. apple has since made it more obvious that you are downloading one and then you have to confirm to install it. and even put in your password, i believe, if one of them wants access to your computer itself (rather than just the web, etc).

i would advise that you upgrade. that said, you certainly don't "need" widgets. i think the mail update is a big thing, and changes with the finder, etc... but that's me

14. louis_sx macrumors regular

something else that hasn't been addressed is that widgets never load into memeory if you never go intot he Dashboard, so being a memory hog is a bit of a red herring

15. yenko macrumors 6502a

Life's too short! Really it is! :D

16. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

as long as you have more than 512MB ram tiger is faster than panther, i would never go back.

17. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

thequicksilver

In my humble opinion and for my own specific uses (please note this, I am not stating this as a universal piece of advice) I wish I hadn't wasted my money on Tiger. It's an incredibly underwhelming upgrade.

That said, you'll probably find 10.4.2 OK, though I still find system stability and overall speed a little bit lower than 10.3.9 was on my iBook. Many of the frankly scandalous (beta-esque) problems in 10.4 and 10.4.1 have been ironed out by the 10.4.2 update, and the 10.4.3 update due within the next month or so promises to be even better. At this point I still wouldn't recommend anybody who wasn't attracted to specific features of Tiger to upgrade, but as you've already bought it, even I would admit that the time has come for you to install it.

Coming from someone who considers Tiger's real value to him at about 15-20% of the retail price, that's not a bad endorsement.

18. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I'll let y'all know when i take the plunge.

Your quote is hysterical:

"when i give food to the poor they call me a saint. when i ask why the poor have no food they call me a communist."

19. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

Don't know that I revealed they gave me a box of Tiger last month when I bought my 1.33ghz iBook. So I'm not even being cost conscious here. But thank you for a realistic appraisal. That's sort of what I figured.

20. Maedus macrumors regular

My dial-up causes me to kernel panic at times and after the 10.4.2 update, the home network has been total rubbish as Mac OS X seems to love changing IP addresses or something so that none of the computers on the network can talk to it anymore. I am impatiently waiting for 10.4.3. Though my situation doesn't seem to be the norm, so you could install 10.4 and see if it works for you, and if it doesn't, you can always roll it back to 10.3 and wait until Apple squashes some more bugs. Well, if you've waited this long, I'd wait until 10.4.3 and see if it is good enough for you then rather than try 10.4.2, be disappointed, reinstall 10.3.9, find 10.4.3 is out in a month, and then reinstall 10.4 and have to go through upgrading it 10.4.3.

21. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

it's not really supposed to be "funny"

22. California thread starter macrumors 68040

California

I see your point. I guess the real charity is given by those who take time to teach people how to grow their own food -- not the government, not the church!

23. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

> When will Tiger b safe for timid me?

Define "Safe [enough]" ?

24. Marble macrumors 6502a

Marble

Tiger tore up my poor TiBook. Even after 10.4.2, the computer will occasionally boot and be unable to change screen brightness or resolution. That said, I think most everything else has been thoroughly onced-over.