Not done with God yet...

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by spork183, Feb 28, 2007.

1. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

Let me preface by saying I agree with you. That said, I have gay friends who are very adament that it is a choice, because to make it biological puts it in the realm of something "wrong" that can be fixed. To make it a choice is empowering to some.

Either way, the belief that God somehow hates homosexuals is just plain wrong. To often our religious beliefs are used as an "out" for our bigoted beliefs or insecurities.

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

3. janey macrumors 603

janey

To say it's a choice makes it seem like it's something that can be stopped/removed whenever someone feels like it. Oh, by the way, did YOU choose which gender(s) you were attracted to?

And I think I've posted a couple of applicable links, but there's plenty of choice words in the Bible stating that the lord thought homosexuality was despicable and wrong.

4. bartelby macrumors Core

But by making it a choice bigots can just say "It's a choice. You're abnormal and disgusting. You should choose to become hetrosexual!"

As someone pointed out, Homosexuality is no more a choice than heterosexuality.

5. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

Yes, and Paul had that whole thing on wives submitting to their husbands, oh, and don't forget the stonings. We have 3 scheduled tomorrow, right outside the west gate of our city.

We are very good at picking and choosing the parts of the bible we wish to adhere to, without looking at historical context. The God of the old testament is a very different being from the God of the new testament.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

We all pick and choose, and I know the hypocrisy of what I did. But the day I stop is the day people stop being ridiculously bigoted against something based on their supposed religion.

7. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

I was allowed to choose neither the gender I am attracted to, nor the gender I was born with. It was all just some biological crapshoot. Oh, wait, there's biology again...

8. janey macrumors 603

janey

yay there we go. :p

9. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

lol :D

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Well, this kind of ties in with the omnipotence/omniscience lie of debate in the other thread.

If the belief that God hates gays is wrong...does that mean he is incapable of hating gays and therefore not omnipotent?

Does this indicate that the omniscient God at the beginning of creation was able to expand beyond omniscience, therefore proving himself less than omniscient at the beginning? (and also proving himself fallible, since he said in the old testament he was omniscient).

11. spork183 thread starter macrumors 6502a

spork183

I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.

So, the answer is yes-ish

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I was late to the party in the other thread, but this brings up a point I made in a thread of my own awhile back. Now, I don't believe homosexuality is a choice, nor do most of the homosexuals I know, nor any scientific research I know of. But what if it was a choice? So? Don't we have choice here in the US? Are we not a free society? Last I checked, nowadays you could have sex with any other consenting adult(s) you wished, and it was none of the government's business.

I don't think any of us really wants a society where it is, despite any claims from the fundies who say they do.

13. Apemanblues macrumors regular

Apemanblues

Some gods hate gays. Some do not. Some are downright flaming homosexuals. Some are indifferent. Some shag absolutely anything that walks or crawls.

It all depends on the mythology in question.

14. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Of course, Paul's writings in fact appear in the New Testament. But you knew that.

15. zflauaus macrumors 65816

I completely agree with you. America is a place for everyone to come to and live free. At least, that's what our current government wants us to think. Although I don't think they really had a problem with homosexuality back then, or at least it wasn't as prevalent.

16. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

You are all wrong. According to this man, "God Hates Fags". And yes he is serious....

17. Queso macrumors G4

Not this old chestnut again. What is it with this issue? You're all obsessed!!! Can't you just leave us to get on with our lives?

:p

18. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

1) For most its not a choice. yes I could choose who I have sex w/ but who I love isn't my choice...its noones. However one can force themselves to have sex w/ anyone

2) Even if it was a choice, I wouldn't care. Simply as that. Even if you do care, why do you want stop people from living there lives anyway they want/natural do.

19. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

If homosexuality was a choice I'd be all over it. Besides the sexuality part I've got far more in common with my gay friends than females of my sexual persuasion (including my wife). An athletic, sports loving, artistic, Apple enthusiast dude would be awesome. Unfortunately I've never felt that way inclined :(.

20. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

That thread. Wow, just...wow. Most of these religous threads somehow or another end up in a fight about God. But that was totally out of conrtol. Really a sight to see and be a part of. :)

Anyway, no, homosexuality is not a choice. How can you believe otherwise?

21. vniow macrumors G4

No he's not. And its hilarious.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Devils advocate for a second, So where is the official sick and twisted line drawn. Straight sex is good across the board. Homosexuals are bad in some peoples minds, everyone is against pedophiles and bestiality and incest (in most parts of the country). So if everyone is programed to have a sexual need for something what makes one ok and the others not. Now pedophiles are bad but what makes someone's biology natural and another illegal?

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That's not devils advocate. That's a shallow and pathetic attempt to sully homosexuality by equation to paedophilia. Paedophilia results in the physical and emotional harm of a child. Homosexuality is between two consenting adults and comes with all the caveats of heterosexual sex. There's a massive difference.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

The argument was made that everyone has a preference. So what makes one persons preference good and another evil. Someone might want to have sex with a horse and that is what they need to satisfy them. If everyone is attracted to something what is the line that is drawn. Where does it go from love to a disease.

My point is in the churches mind homosexuality is a disease. They think of it as a sin just as a grown man having sex with a child is a sin in everyone elses mind.