Not Enough RAM

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by BertMcCracken, Sep 20, 2006.

1. BertMcCracken macrumors newbie

I'm running a Mac OS X (10.3.9) and have had Photoshop CS on my computer for nearly 3 years and just a couple weeks ago I started getting an error message "not enough RAM" when trying to open the program. Does anyone know what's going on or how I can solve this problem. There is plenty of disk space on my computer, in fact more than there has ever been and the computer shows it has 128 MB SDRAM...

Bert

2. JDN macrumors 6502a

Have you installed anything recently that 'opens' on start up, or uses up more of your RAM in the background?

Do you only have 128MB RAM in total? It seems rather low.

3. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Could be a G3 PowerBook. I know that they came with only 128 MB of RAM for a while.

4. BertMcCracken thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup, it's a Power PC G4 with 128 MB of Ram memory... I've never ever had a problem with it until now...

I think it all started when I tried installing new effects to photoshop... however I took that all off my computer including Photoshop CS... and reinstalled Photoshop CS and it seems to have gotten worse... before I could at least open the program but wasn't really able to do anything... now I can't even open it...

5. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yeah you definitely need more ram....128MB just isnt enough anymore. I have 1.25GB in my macbook and it still stutters from time to time.

6. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

You will need more RAM now that you've got the new effects. At least I was pretty close with the model of the computer.

Now, off-topic...fan of The Used? I can tell by your username.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You have been using Photoshop for 3 years with only 128 MB of RAM in your machine???

Impressive.

8. BertMcCracken thread starter macrumors newbie

So im surprised it doesn't work anymore... and you guys are surprised it ever worked...

Off the subject...

Lets say I've been looking at buying a new Mac for quite some time now. If you had $600 what's the best way to spend it? Looks like the Mac Mini is the only thing in this guys price range...

9. Kalmia macrumors member

I guess that would depend on if you want/need the newest technology or not. If you need the Intel chip, I'd get a used or refurbished Mac mini with as much RAM as you can afford. The integrated graphics mean you won't get as much power out of it as you would out of a machine with dedicated graphics, but you'll also pay a lot more than $600 for that privilege in an Intel machine (the cheapest iMac with dedicated graphics is about $1100).

If you don't mind an older PowerPC processor, I'd personally spring for a nice used G4 iMac at MacOfAllTrades.com. $550 will get you 800 MHz and four times the RAM you have now. And if you should find yourself with some spare cash later on, you can upgrade the processor to a full 1.92 GHz and increase your RAM to a full gig.

~Kalmia

10. BertMcCracken thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the expertise Kalmia... I'll look into that!

11. ElectricSheep macrumors 6502

ElectricSheep

You can't page everything out to disk. Active memory and Inactive memory can both be paged out to disk, but Wired memory pages have a flag set on them that prevents them from leaving physical memory. Right now I'm using 106-113 Megs of Wired memory. I can see that if a system has only 128 Megs of physical memory, that's going to run out really fast.

12. squirrelonfire macrumors member

128MB of ram is ridiculously low

I had a macbook w/ 512 MB and it was slow as crap. I upgraded to 1GIG and I still feel like it's slow, probably b/c i have like 8 apps opened up at the same time.
    So now i'm getting another gig on Monday, that will b 2 gigs. Plenty for me to play game, photoshoping, editing my website, n of course regular stuff w/o even closing any of these apps while running the other.
    You should strongly consider upgrading your computer to at least 1gig of ram, you will see the completely different side of your mac at that amount of memory.

13. darkcurse macrumors 6502a

darkcurse

Out of the 8 apps, were they all universal? Those proggies that need to run via Rosetta are usually slow and use ungodly amounts of RAM.

To the OP: Wow, 128MB's of RAM... Speechless:D Oh, and when you trashed Photoshop did you remember to trash everything else related to it in the library? Just thinking since it could be that Photoshop CS is still referring to those new effects that you installed previously. Other than upgrading the RAM you could just reinstall your OS :p