Not even worth posting...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by SilentPanda, Oct 13, 2005.

1. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

How many times have you typed up a very long and well thought out post to argue a point on MR and other boards only to finish and think, "You know what... it's really not going to matter" and then delete it?

I do it all the time. Am I the only guilty party?

2. SilentPanda thread starter Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

edit: nevermind :p

You know *somebody* was gonna post that...

3. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

I do that ALL the time.

About 30% of the time I write a post, probably.

4. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I've found if you make posts that are too long and detailed most people don't even read them. Some of my best posts, which were long, detailed and I thought had some good content get ignored while my other short, less meaningful posts get responses... very odd.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I won't read any post that has more than 5 sentences or 1 paragraph. It's just too much information.

I notice this especially with newbies who write paragraphs and paragraphs of information, only to have it ignored. I don't bother reading long posts, especially those riddled with spelling errors or those without line breaks.

6. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I've done it several times... usually when I'm chewing someone out.

7. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    More so recently.

Must be getting more mature and less of an attention whore.

8. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I do that many times too. I would I submit about 2/3 of the posts that I write.

9. maya macrumors 68040

maya

iconfess, I have never done this. ;) :)

The "i" is not a typo. ;)

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

I don't do it. I know enough before starting that internet forum arguments are pretty pointless. Besides, posts that state one thought gets read and responded too much more frequently than long-written responses that touch on too many points.

11. emw macrumors G4

emw

I do it fairly often. I'll also go to make some flippant one-liner or other crap response and just stop.

12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

many times that happens to me. I guess it's just like you think something is gonna be so good but then you realize it wont be that great so you save yourself the humiliation? :)

13. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

wow, I am the same way. I just wrote an entire novel to post in one thread and then decided not to start a war. so I deleted it. I am just too much of a pacifist I guess.

14. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Me too! I have a long thought out post, go to preview it, then say: 'eh, heck with it'. I've caught myself doing this a bit in the week or so.

15. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

My personal motto (in forums and usenet newsgroups) has always been "think twice, post once". Well, not always. 10 years ago, when I found usenet, I spent far too much time posting.

I don't often start a reply and not send it, but much more often I consider whether to press Reply and decide not to.

That's why it took me 18 months to get my avatar, and why my average is just over 1 post per day.

16. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

Constantly. Sometimes I stop and think how I want to say something and just give up because it's not important or worth the effort. Other times I just think "eh, I'm sure someone else will point this out eventually..." and then I go take a nap or something.

I actually almost didn't post this, but since I did, you all better read it. :rolleyes:

17. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A few times. More normally I hit the reply button then give up without typing anything.

18. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

19. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I once spent about 20 minutes looking up something for someone and was about to post it, so I began writing it up and then decided to check back and someone already posted the answer, so I just exited.

It happens all the time, actually.

20. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I have never done that. What I do hate is when I type a long thought out post and then something happens (browser crashes, etc) and I lose it. Then I just don't feel like typing it up again.

Hickman

21. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Duff-Man

Duff-Man says....I do that all the time - my post count would probably be 50% higher if I hit the submit button on every message I have typed...and 200% higher if I replied to every message I thought about replying to. This happens most frequently right around the time of Apple's product announcements when we get so many duplicate threads....oh yeah!

22. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I have deleted posts so many times I'm sure my post count would be 50% higher :eek: Many on the basis that I wasn't adding anything new to the conversation.

23. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Ditto. :eek:

I've also used the edit feature really quickly a number of times...

24. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Yes... me too. Despite trying to preview posts more often in order to avoid writing completely misspelled rubbish.

Often give up on a post when I realise that I'm being unnecessarily abrasive, unless it's in the Political Forums.

Most frequent deletion of posts recently has been the Picture Association thread where somebody might nip in with an image before you have found and posted the one you were looking for, often finding something near identical... great minds think alike, fools seldom differ.