Not *exactly* political. But it could get that way. Taking the RICA today.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Neserk, Jun 19, 2004.

1. Neserk macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Well, in a few hours I take my last ever (hopefully) standardized test. I take the RICA to "prove" that I can teach children how to read. I should pass it (98% of people who took the classes I took, do). After that it is just a matter of finishing up my classwork and student teaching.

By Bush's standards I'm already a "highly qualified" teacher because I passed the CSET 18 months ago. So I guess I now have his endorsement. What does that mean when it comes to my opinions about him? Are they also highly qualified? :p

2. Desertrat macrumors newbie

3. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thanks. They are tormenting me. Usually these tests are in the a.m. This one doesn't start until 1:30 arghhh...

4. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

#2's sharpened, layered clothing for varying temperature, stomach all aflutter... I think I'm ready!

5. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Best of luck… My CSET started at 1:30. I had to cram myself into a student desk too small for my frame and work into the dark, finishing in the last 10 minutes of allowable time, at 6 pm, I think it was. All I know is that it was dark when I emerged and I was really hungry. I had no idea if I'd passed or not. It was a long, draining day. It helps that you're confident of your chances on this one.

(I did pass the CSET, by the way. But then I got a job doing what I really want to do. The pay is worse, but at least I don't have to bring my job home with me every night.)

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

7. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

I'm done :D I feel like I passed it, but it is hard to say. Half the test is essay questions. My wrist is killing me. It took me as long to take the CSET as it did this test. It was 5 essays (versus 11) and 70 multiple choice (versus about 150). But this isn't regurgitation, this is application so the multiple choice are harder and the essays aren't something you either know or don't know so you have to really think before writing. I wish I could do it on a computer!

If you take it, take about 14 pencils. I took 10, 1 broke and I need about 2 more. 14 is a safe number.

8. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

The sad, pathetic thing is I won't know *how* well I did. I'll just know that I passed or didn't by X amount of points. I could pass by the minimum score or kick butt on it, won't know... oh, well...

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

So now I can start on standardized tests then? :D

Just kidding.

10. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Once I find out I passed I'll rant on how stupid it is to have to take them.

This is the 13th one I've taken, that I can name. I know I took others but I don't recall the names. Okay, here is my list, just for fun.

CAT in 2nd, 5th, 8th & 11th grade. (4)
    SAT's in 7th or 8th grade and 11th grade (2)
    ACT in 11th grade (1)
    GRE in 92 and 99 (2) -- scores are only good for 5 years!
    GRE Pscyh section (1)
    CBEST (1)
    CSET (1)
    RICA (1)

11. Desertrat macrumors newbie

"GRE in 92 and 99 (2) -- scores are only good for 5 years!"

Do you have any idea why that is? Or, is it just, "There's no reason; it's just our policy."?

I took the GRE in 1966, when I was thinking about Grad School. The score was still accepted by Mensa, 25 years later...

'Rat

12. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Not sure why. The testing people aren't big on explaining their reasoning. Probably a combination of them throwing out scores every 5 years, money (they make more on each test they administer), and changes the tests go through. I know it has changed dramatically from when I took it almost 5 years ago!

13. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

14. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I hope you can't remember.

Congratulations! ;)

16. Awimoway macrumors 65816

I would wish you congratulations, but I know that politicians will create more exorbitantly priced tests for you that you have to pay for out of your own pocket, your class size will continue to grow, your facilities will continue to worsen, and your salary will not keep pace with inflation (and all so that a bunch of greedy fatcats can have more zeroes at the end of the numbers on their bank statements — the hell with the rest of us — as if no one in this country has any responsibility to ensure the success of the next generation of Americans who will be running the country when they are all in expensive nursing homes :rolleyes: ), so it's hard to feel excited.

Sorry to be such a bright ray of gloom, but I'm not telling you anything you don't know. It's a credit to you that you trudge on in spite of all the thoroughly undeserved crap thrown at your profession. Thanks for doing your part to make our country better.

17. Neserk thread starter macrumors 6502a

Neserk

Thanks! To celebrate? I almost slept through the night! :D