Not getting 5.1 or DTS from C2D MBP. What am I missing?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by uv23, Nov 15, 2006.

1. uv23 macrumors 6502

I am intensely irritated. I finally decided to try out the digital audio on my MBP and it seems to only be outputting stereo signals. My receiver (Panasonic SA-XR25) is configured correctly and automatically detects 5.1, DTS, etc from my DVD player, but regardless what I set DVDs to on my MBP, it is only outputting a stereo signal. I am using a proper mini to optical cable. Someone enlighten me.

2. NKAWTG macrumors newbie

Try VLC also

I've had this problem on occassion, but only with the Apple supplied DVD player. For some reason, it sometimes won't output the 5.1, but when I use VLC for my player, it will.

I just usually check the settings in the system preferences tab as well as the app preferences to double check the output is DD5.1. Sometimes ejecting the disc and reinserting it helps with Apple's DVD player to output correctly.

3. uv23 thread starter macrumors 6502

Got it, thanks. Didn't even think to have to change my DVD player prefs. I assumed it was set correctly because audio was still outputting through the optical line, but I guess not. It's all good now. Cheers.

4. lieb39 macrumors 6502

lieb39

Anyone know if this is supported in the Windows environment with bootcamp?

Cheers!