Not Good: menubar glitch (spotlight, among other things, dead)

Discussion in 'macOS' started by indigoflowAS, Mar 7, 2006.

1. indigoflowAS macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

So, this is a mildly scary issue...hopefully its minor.

After a restart...the top right of the menubar is blank, no spotlight, no clock, no displays, no wifi settings, no nothing! Just iCalViewer and Adium if they are running...great, and now I cant make a screen capture w/o the widget.

In addition, I cannot open the keyboard shortcuts panel in the System Preferences without System Preferences crashing. Any ideas? Could it be a .plist file somewhere? Not looking forward to a reinstall.

Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

3. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

Snap! i have the hacked frontrow too...that could be it! i removed what files i could find but still no luck...might cave to the archive and install.

4. calebjohnston macrumors 68000

calebjohnston

stop with the hackkkkkkkkkkkkss. this has been happening to everyone that uses the front row hack lately.

Note the word "hack" and the fact that they are "illegal". Sure you can download front row legally blahblah, but you aren't supposed to download a hack to get it working - doesn't really seem legal does it?

Stay with legal things, and your computer will work fine. =)

Anyway, archive and install is probably your best bet if you already removed all the front row hack + files and restarted and they're still gone.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    OK... I didn't have the Front Row Hack (it hasn't been near my machine) and this happened to me on a recent startup.

I just went back into System Preferences and turned them all back on again - for some reason, all the 'show in menu bar' checks had disappeared.

6. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

This happens to me once in awhile also, and I don't have the Front Row hack, usually, if I log out and log back in, it corrects the problem..

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

After all hacks and sorts are removes. If it still doesn't work. Delete/move/rename the ~/Preferences/ByHost/com.apple.systemuiserver.xxxxxxxxx.plist and reboot...

8. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I've tried everything to solve this (that I can possibly think of, including reinstalling the 10.4.5 combo update) and I still have no menu bar items. I do have the systemuiserver running, but no menu items, which is odd.

I really don't mind doing an archive and reinstall, I just hate not being able to figure this out. It seems like it has to be a corrupt file somewhere, so there is no reason not to be successful at finding it and replacing it.

9. indigoflowAS thread starter macrumors 6502

indigoflowAS

well...the combo update worked over here. i wish you had as good fortune as me...i was just unpacking the external hard drive. guess this little escapade is over, since the hack has been respectfully removed from his site (now only if i had saved the 1st version of the hack :rolleyes: )

good luck bro.

10. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

I replaced the search.bundle file and systemuiserver.app from CoreServices for the 3rd or 4th time and I now have my menu extras back, but not Spotlight. I still need to restart, but I'm in class. Hopefully that will resolve it completely, but something tells me systemuiserver will be hanging when I reboot.

If anyone has any ideas on how to get Spotlight back, please let me know.

EDIT: I logged out and the menu items were gone once again. I've figured out that I can get them back by trashing search.bundle (Spotlight file) from CoreServices and force quitting SystemUIserver. At that point the process restarts itself and everything but spotlight is back.

11. Kernow macrumors 65816

Kernow

Same thing happened to me - no Front Row hack, and everything was suddenly turned off in System Preferences. For a couple of days afterwards, the odd thing or two would turn itself off randomly, but this now seems to have subsided. :confused:

12. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    Odd...

i'm glad I never used the new Front Row Hack...I just have the original and all is well....

Now I won't use the new front row hack for sure...