Not happy with dual boot Macs

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Dane D., Jan 5, 2005.

1. Dane D. macrumors 6502a

I experiencing some problems on two different dual boot Macs. One is a G4/667 Powerbook, 30GB HD, 512MB RAM. This PowerBook needs to boot in OS 9.2.2 to drive a BetterLight Scanback camera. The camera is SCSI based and utilitizes a Ratoc CB31 Pismo cardbus. My problem is the camera software quits unexpectedly during a scan but contiues to record the image to its own hard drive. I can't however re-start the software (does not see camera back) until I re-boot the entire system. This only happens with this Mac, when I connect a G4/466 (OS 9.2.2 only) tower no problems at all. I've spoke with both Ratoc and BetterLight and have followed their instructions for proper set-up. My thought is OS 10.2.8 and OS 9.2.2 on the same hard drive is the problem.

The other dual boot Mac is a DP 867, 60 GB HD, 512 RAM unit that also has both OS systems installed. This one runs QuarkXPress, Photoshop and Illustrator for my Art Director. He locks up alot and experiences problems in Quark that I can't reproduce on any other Mac that runs only one OS (9.2.2). Can I safely trash OS X and run OS 9.2.2 on these Macs?

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

If you booted MacOS 9.2.2, MacOS X 10.2.8 will have no effect at all except to take up space on your hard disk. To MacOS 9.2.2, MacOS X is just set of inert files. This is probably a MacOS 9 problem and requires a MacOS 9 solution. The most probable solution is to use Extensions Manager to limit your extension to just those required to run your camera's software. Another thing that you may try is to increase the memory allocation of any utilities and applications required to complete your scan. It may also be a good idea to run Disk First Aid.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you tried trashing the Quark (3.x, 4.x or 5.x ?) prefs file?
    It's notorious for corrupting & causing probs.

Try moving it to the desktop & restarting Quark. If it now runs fine, then trash it. If it doesn't, put it back...

Unfortunately, you lose your settings if that turns out to be the problem.

When we used to run OS9 at work, I kept a good copy of my Quark 5 prefs file handy so I could drop it in when necessary. Came in useful every 4-6 weeks or so...

4. Dane D. thread starter macrumors 6502a

Forgot that one

Forgot about the Preference file because on the other 10 Macs running a single OS (9.2.2) never give me problems. In the early days of PowerPC chips I used to do that alot. Thanks for reminding me.