Not happy with Mighty Mouse!

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ghall, Sep 17, 2006.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

I just bought my second Mighty Mouse about a month ago, and now it has the same problem that my 1st one did: it won't scroll down. Is the wireless Mighty Mouse any better? I'm really dissapointed in the quality of the Mighty Mouse. Is there a way to clean it without taking it apart? I tried an compressed air can to no avail!

2. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I've never had such problems with my wired and wireless MM. I've heard if you take a damp cloth and keep running it over the scroll ball it should start working.

Anyone else have any better suggestions.

Nuc

3. freebooter macrumors 65816

freebooter

Cleaning it? Yes, put a damp cloth on a table and run the ball over it repeatedly. Maybe use isoproyl alcohol if it's really dirty. If that doesn't work, try to sell it.

It's the only truly awful Apple product I have ever bought. I'm surprised they still sell it. Mind you, they also made the infamous hockey-puck mouse for years.
    I stopped using my m.m. after a month or two because it got gummed up so easily. I live in a very dusty city, and I eat while using the computer.

Anyhoo, I went gone back to my cheap Logitech. It's better. I never have to clean it.

4. Sobering macrumors regular

I love the mighty mouse. Never cuts out on me. It's my old faithful. Anyways when it starts to get dirty after awhile and it starts to get sluggish, I just hold the mouse up side down and spin the ball like furry and it gets lots of dirt out. Then I wipe it with a damp cloth.

5. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

Its all down to keeping it (and your hands) clean. I have noticed on warm days that when my hands get a bit clammy the scroll ball doesnt work. If you wash your hands and dry them good as well as give the mouse a quick clean it works fine. Sometimes just wiping your fingers on your shirt will clear up the problem. However on other occasions it might be some actual dirt inside that is causing the problem then its a case of turning the mouse upside down and messing with the scroll ball as well as a dampcloth clean like other posters have said. Hope this helps! I would never go back to a normal mouse now. :)

6. eyemacg5 macrumors 6502

eyemacg5

Pffft, Mighty Mouse

Well, my scroll ball stopped working about 2 weeks after buying my mac :( and then the middle button stopped working, so i replaced the mighty mouse with a Macally iLaser, its a 5 button lasere mouse and cost me £20 so that was a real bargin, it has a scroll wheel but no side way scroll.

-jake

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

If find the MM a bit cheap. I mean, it feels that way when you hold it. So I got myself a Razer Pro Solutions mouse. Nice and white, very accurate and light, I just love how the blue light comes out of it!! (Sorry just had to brag, but still I'm not surprised the MM quits on you, it really does feel quite cheap in the hand, not like other/older mice from Apple)

8. Queso macrumors G4

Disconnect the mouse and put it on a flat surface. Push the scroll ball in and really wiggle it up and down for a few seconds. Plug back in and see if it's made a difference. Repeat if necessary.

Works with mine anyway, although it is my second one. The MM that originally came with my iMac broke.

9. Willis macrumors 68020

Willis

My MM gets a bit gummy sometimes, but if you remember ball mice, they never worked when they got clogged up. same principle. Nothing major to worry about or to bash it.

10. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

Best suggestion ever for the MM, ditch it. I have a, :eek: , M$ mouse hooked to my iMac. 10 times better than the MM.

11. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The wireless MM has grown on me a bit. I'm not over-enamoured of the Mighty Mice but the wireless seems to feel better - perhaps because it has more inertia.

As for the scroll ball issues, well - I can't imagine how filthy some of your hands are. My balls are pristine without even cleaning.

12. skoker macrumors 68000

skoker

LMAO!