Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beck

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 13, 2006
I say new its a refurb i got at the end of jannury. I had a mac mini and loved it, however this macbook pro isnt exactly stable :mad:

frount row - often just quits, somtimes just freezes as well
safari - somtimes it just craps out and all i get is the beachball for about 3 minutes or forever depends on the moon
firefox- sometmes it wount let me type
vlc - often quits for fun
iphoto has been know to crash on me.
azureus goes funny from time to time, but im blamming the program not the mac on that one

are these problems common? do you think i need more ram? ive only got 1 gig, howabout when the new os x comes out? any opinions? I dont realy want to send back the mac as its alot of hastle

any input would be intresting! thanks

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
The gig of RAM should support what you are doing.

Things don't sound normal, but nothing sounds "definable" as well. Aside from downloading all the latest updates, repairing permissions and the normal everday maintenence stuff (I'm assuming you are doing all that) not sure how to diagnose. If it's bothering you, unfortunately (or fortunately) it is under warantee and you can have apple give it the once over.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
quick ?.. did the MBP come with 1 gig of RAm or did you upgrade the ram yourself? Sometimes the RAM can be seating incorrectly, and that can cause general operating problems.

MacAnkka

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2006
Finland
If it really works a lot less reliably than a Mac Mini, there's most likely something wrong with it.

It might be a software problem, so you should try to reinstall the OS X, imo. You would have to backup anything important on the MacBook, though.

If it is a hardware prob, my guess would be bad RAM. Besides being badly seated, the RAM could be faulty. If you try reseating it, you could also try replacing it if you can. You might not be comfortable with that, though, so you might have to take it to the Apple store.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
quick ?.. did the MBP come with 1 gig of RAm or did you upgrade the ram yourself? Sometimes the RAM can be seating incorrectly, and that can cause general operating problems.

I think all the MBPs come w/ 1gb of RAM don't they? Still could be improperly seated or faulty memory module. In any case, have you called Apple or visited an Apple store with it yet?

Good luck!

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
Something is definitely amiss. Try booting into the Apple Hardware Test that came on your system DVD and run the extended test. If it finds a problem with your memory or another component, contact Apple for warranty service. Just guessing, but it sounds like it might possibly be bad RAM causing those problems.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
I think all the MBPs come w/ 1gb of RAM don't they? Still could be improperly seated or faulty memory module. In any case, have you called Apple or visited an Apple store with it yet?

Good luck!

They are still selling refurb MBPs with 512mb for 1300 or so:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

He said it was a refurb, so that's why I asked. Good chance it's the RAM...

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
They are still selling refurb MBPs with 512mb for 1300 or so:

Refurbished MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 1.83GHz Intel Core Duo
15.4-inch widescreen display (1440x900 resolution)
512MB (single SODIMM) 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM
80GB 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive
Slot-load SuperDrive (DVD±RW/CD-RW)
ATI Mobility Radeon X1600 with 128MB GDDR3 memory
Built-in iSight Camera
Front Row and Apple Remote

He said it was a refurb, so that's why I asked. Good chance it's the RAM...

I had 2 gigs of ram and still it happend to me....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.