Not happy...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mz.bhvn, Mar 10, 2007.

1. mz.bhvn macrumors member

I purchased a white 13" 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo macbook in less than a month ago and I've already had a few problems with it and was wondering if anyone else has had the same problems and if Applecare can help.

It show signs of discoloration at the wristpad (already) and my CPU gets up to temperatures of 50 degrees celcius (122 fahrenheit). Also my battery doesn't seem to last for very long...Lasts for up to about 3 hours max... Is this right?! :confused:

Don't get me wrong, I love my macbook! But these 3 things have really disappointed me :( And now after only less than a month of having it, I have to probably give Applecare a call.

Has anyone else had these problems and or called Applecare and got them to fix it?

Any advice would be muchly appreciated :)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Advice: Call Applecare. You're entitled, and nobody -- certanly not any of us -- is going to be able to fix it for you.

3 hours... that's a pretty good real-life battery performance for a notebook under 6 lbs. Your runtime will vary widely depending how you use it. Games, keeping the screen on max brightness, background programs, all will run the battery down faster.

3. mz.bhvn thread starter macrumors member

Yeh I'm definitely going to call them tomorrow (they won't be open today, it being a sunday and all). I'm just really pee'd off - had it for less than a month and there's things already wrong with it.

Haha sorry, just had to vent and find out if anyone else has had the same problem.

4. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

To be honest, I'd say the only real gripe is the staining, and that really only cosmetic. But do as you will, you are entitled as other have said.

5. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

Please post a picture of it. We have two in our family and have not witnessed it ourselves. I would like to see it.

6. Cult Follower macrumors 6502a

Cult Follower

I haven't had any of those problems, but i get like 3.5 hours of battery life.

7. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Call Applecare. They will help you out with the discoloring. As for the temps and battery, 3 hours is about right and the temps may get up to that point if you are doing a lot of things on the computer.

8. djstarrock macrumors 6502a

djstarrock

My battery always at 50'c when just having Safari open and Adium. my battery last about 3 to 4 hours.

9. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I get 3-4 hours on a macbook PRO, so you should get at least 3-4, maybe 5 if you push it... but I've never used a Macbook, so I can't really say.

10. mz.bhvn thread starter macrumors member

Here's an example of what mine looks like: http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1802

Grrrrrr :mad:

11. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

That article is from June 2006. It shouldn't be happening with the new models. Have you tried cleaning it? :confused:

If it doesn't come off, then take it to an Apple reseller and they'll replace the top for you. If it comes off when you try cleaning it, then you know what you need to do from now on. It's not Apple's fault. Everything that's white and used often usually gets dirty quicker.

13. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

I think the only gripe you have is the staining.
    50C CPU temp is pretty normal.
    3 hour battery life is pretty typical, could be even less if you are playing a game or watching movies.

14. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Other than the stain, your computer is normal. My MBP's CPU gets upto 74C running heavy files, 50C is nothing. You expect a CPU to stay at room temperature?

15. smueboy macrumors 6502a

smueboy

My .02c: 50C temps and ~3hr battery performance are within normal ranges. The discolouration however, sounds annoying. As Abstract said, try cleaning it - i had similar on my PB which cleaned off nicely. Search the forums for cleaning tips - some people recommend a damp cloth, while others prefer buying a cleaning solution.

16. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

My roommate's old iBook was really discolored and we got a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser and it worked AMAZINGLY! You should try one of those bad boys.

17. mz.bhvn thread starter macrumors member

Thanks heaps for the advice guys!! I'm glad the temp. of my cpu and batt. life is normal :)

And I tried using a lint-free damp cloth earlier on the wristpad and it has seemed to of worked just a tad...might try some sort of cleaning product. So hopefully there will be no need to give Applecare a call.

Once again, thanks for the advice everyone! Muchly appreciated.