not impressed

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Sweetbike40, Feb 3, 2008.

1. macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

I've posted comments on how i thought the MBA was beautiful based on photos. I just came back from the Apple store and i have to say i was not impressed. I'm sorry, it's my opinion but i think it looks cheap. Anyone who would pay $3000 for this is crazy. Looking at, it looks worth about 700-800. After playing with it then looking at the MBP.... the 15" MBP is 1000 time more beautiful and so much more worth the money. I'd caution anyone who has ordered it without seeing it.

2. macrumors 6502

Couldn't disagree more. I decided not to order one until I had held it in my own two hands. Did just that the other night. The MBA is an engineering marvel. Granted, it's not a desktop replacement, but for my purposes, to fit nicely in between my iPhone and iMac, it is perfect. I don't know how you can look at a MBA and not see the beauty of the design.

3. macrumors 6502a

Airforce

The hell? It's a shrunken chip and minus an optical drive/firewire/ethernet/ect.

Engineering marvel? :rolleyes:

4. macrumors 68020

Hankster

$3000? It's $1700. Also, it's only worth it based on your needs. Not every laptop is developed and designed for everyone. Each model has their place. MBA would never find a home in my house, but that's just because I have no need for what it offers. It doesn't mean it's not a good computer for someone else.

5. macrumors member

ok that's a little disingenuous.

6. thread starter macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Even at the base price of 1799 it's too much. It looked like plastic to me. and yes, it has it's use, i understand the purpose of it and don't knock it for that.... i just think Apple is charging way too much. I'm done with this argument... i just think i should give a heads up to people that may have ordered it. You may want to see it in the store first. So be it if your happy. Enjoy.

7. macrumors 68040

Cybergypsy

Funny I feel the same about the MBP, move on...

8. macrumors 65816

function follows form

Remember people its form first. Buy it because its sexy and looks cool not for power or practicality.

9. macrumors 6502a

fair enough
    everyone has thiere opinions

i however love the air hehe and can't wait for mine to get deliver =)

and concerning the price.. obvious i would like it cheaper
    however the key word here is "Apple" it's pretty and almost non existent to see an Apple product to be considered "cheap" or "cheaper"

10. macrumors 6502

drchipinski

It is a great looking, lightweight machine. It is an incredible tool for the traveler. Do I think it is overpriced...YES. Could I perhaps get one...YES.

11. macrumors 603

HLdan

I already saw it at Macworld and my conclusion is you have bad eyes and don't recognize quality. The fit and finish is better on the AIR than any of Apple's notebooks.

12. macrumors G3

Sesshi

Not really. A Sony TZ is an engineering marvel, relatively speaking. An Air is merely a marvel of marketing combined with the best that Apple can do in terms of shrinkage. They've taken the usual Apple 'smoke & mirrors' approach, this time making the machine look razer-thin by sticking with an almost-normal-laptop area. A true subnotebook with the same vertical dimensions wouldn't look as thin to the eye.

However it has a use for us business types who doesn't need the power of an MBP but likes to carry lighter stuff. To my Windows eye it's a bit crap, but it's the only choice I have for a truly portable OS X machine. I also think it's the prettiest Apple laptop out there, but that is subjective, and subject to review after I've used the Airs for a while.

13. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Power Mac G5 4GB iPod Mini 1GB Nano-White 16 GB iPod Touch Mac Book Pro 2.4 17"HD 7200

"and everyone knows iPod mini is for girls..."

To each his own. I have both and they both have their places.

14. macrumors 68040

squeeks

i too just went to the apple store last night and saw my first macbook air, ive been against it from its announcement..and for the price i still am, but geeze that thing is LIGHT, i guess if you've got the money, go for it...im not getting one but, yeah

15. macrumors member

Alfadoc

Good. Don't like it, don't buy it!

A lot of people think a Ferrari's not worth it, but enough do...

I can't wait to enjoy mine! :)

16. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Here, here!! They are sweet machines & if it's what you want and you have the money, buy it - but not at Southpoint or Crabtree today anyways...

17. macrumors member

Alfadoc

I agree with you on your SP/Crabtree CS comparison. I'm headed to SouthPark to play with one. Mine's already landed at RDU, so it'll be delivered by the time I get back from my Charlotte business trip.

18. macrumors 65816

Only time will tell

Only time will tell the quality as right now it is perceived because of the metal constriction. Aluminum is a soft metal and the air is thin. It does bug me that people are getting them and they "some" rock a little bit on a table. Almost like it is warped. Should be easy to fix. Just open and it carefully twist the case a bit until it sits flat :) kidding.

I may get one a month or 2 down the road once the test of time shows the true quality of these things. In the meantime if you got one or are getting one just enjoy it

19. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

Southpoint has some on display. I was lucky enough to score an over priced POS on Friday and I LOVE IT!! You'll have something to look forward to when you return. They are sweet.

I'll be taking mine on its first trips this week. It sure will be a pleasure sticking its lightness through security.

20. macrumors 6502

When I saw it at MacWorld I thought it was an amazing design. I personally wanted one however it lacks too much of what I need with my MacBook Pro and iMac.

21. macrumors 6502

I can't wait to try out one of those bad boys. I could be tempted...

22. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

If you haven't bit on your PB replacement with the MBP or MB yet I think you truly will be tempted. They are awesome & if it's what you need, you'll know it.

23. macrumors 6502a

cohibadad

I'm gonna have to look at my MBP again. Didn't realize it was that beautiful.

24. macrumors 603

NC MacGuy

IMHO:
    They were when they were FIRST released as the old PB Ti how many years ago.?.?. Since then not much redesign, just new guts and a few doo-dads and what-nots to keep people buying. A bit long in the tooth now.

25. macrumors 65816

ob81

Funny

I just talked to my boss about this. He is the manager for the department, and Travels a hell of a lot, and really NEEDS something like the Air. He is a Mac guy through and through, so he never went sony and just carries his MBP. He owns like 3 macs himself, and his wife and kids all have their own Macs.

We saw the Air introduced and he was all over it.

He went in to check it out yesterday, and the first words he said to me this morning were "not impressed". He said that when he held it, that while light, it wasn't more portable than a Macbook. The compromises didn't bother him, it was the footprint.

I think the idea of the MBA is great, but 13" really isn't portable. If you compromise and get the superdrive, you might as well have gotten a Macbook. The look and feel is sturdy though, and it does what it is intended to do: Be light, and run OSX in it's full capacity when used.