not improved

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by 9hundred, Jun 8, 2003.

1. 9hundred macrumors member

The new ipod is not improved except for the curved edges and slimer profile.

-The dock is nice but bluetooth would have been better.

-The buttons are nice but the old design is cleaner better integrated.

-No firewire port on the ipod itself.

-itrip doesn't work on the new one.

-no new features

therefore I will not 'upgrade'

2. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Well, I agree with you, I'm very happy with my 20 gig unit, but what the hell do you want bluetooth in the thing for? A 24 hour sync session.

BEN

3. ZildjianKX macrumors 68000

ZildjianKX

Damn, ya beat me to that ... LoL

4. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Re: not improved

-Bluetooth would be VERY slow for transferring music. Keep with Firewire and USB 2.0, thank you.

-I agree with you there.

-I'm not sure how this is a huge problem, excepting that you need a proprietary cable to run it. This is necessary to make the iPod thinner, though. I have the 10GB (thinnest model previously) and the firewire jack is a large portion of the thickness.

-There are other FM converters

-On the go playlists, customizable menus, more games...

Sorry but I don't see your point...

5. Chimaera macrumors regular

I have one of the new ones, and to be honest, I think you're wrong on all counts - bluetooth would be horrendous for anything *other* than syncing contacts and other such peripheral information, and personally I don't like the idea of it being any more expensive for a feature I don't even use atm.

As for the buttons, the old ones bugged me - it was too easy to tap one when using the scroll wheel and stuff, the new ones I find perfect - responsive and safely away from the wheel - plus they can't be activated by anything other than your skin - how cool is that?

OK fair play, I see the advantage of the FW port on the old pods - you could use any FW cable you had available and so on, but given the extra functionality available through the dock connecter I'm happy to make the sacrifice: Line-out and USB2 out (although admittedly I only use Firewire on it)

no iTrip doesn't work, however a) I bet they're workling on a new version now and b) there are alternatives that do work.

No new features... are you blind?
    - Dock
    - Imporved controls
    - USB2 support
    - Lineout support
    - On the Go
    - Customisable menu
    - New games (if you like that sort of thing)
    - More available space
    - Recording (not impleimented yet, but its there)
    - Better remote interface

While I can't say if I'd have upgraded from a gen2 iPod (I never owned one) its certainly a huge leap from a gen1 and I have *no* complaints at all about mine.

6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

I sold my 20 to get a 30. The new one is MUCH improved. I love it. Your initial arguments were either subjective (buttons), ridiculous (bluetooth), or immaterial (standard FW port). etc. The dock is excellent. The software is cool. Everything is mad.

7. RandomDeadHead macrumors 6502

I'm sure for a couple million dollars Apple would make you a custom iPod, unless you have that kind of money your S.O.L.

So just suck it up and keep the one you have and wait for the next revision.

BTW, My grandfather bought a Cadillac back in 1956, sevral years later he went to trade it in for another but was disgusted by how they had changed the interior. So he did not buy one but instead kept the one he had for another couple months, needless to say he ended up buying a new one, and after a day or two liked it better the his old one. This has happened four times sence then, and guess what? Now 83 years old he ownes a new Cadillac which he hated when he first bought it, but now he loves it.

All things must change, it's the nature of the beast.

8. mrjamin macrumors 65816

mrjamin

I mentioned that in another thread, someone then pointed out that bluetooth would be handy for quick syncing of contacts/iCal etc, not really worth integrating it for just that though. Besides, its harldy a lot of effort to stick it on the dock and press sync

9. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

man, you shouldn't post a thread like this... it'll either get you flamed by people who got a new one or you'll be regarded as a sore owner of the previous model, unable to upgrade for whatever the reason...

some will agree with your points, some will not. i am not exactly sure what you were trying to get out of the thread.
    (Some dude to respond "ticked" :mad: like me? :D)

i got the newest model, i love MINE, but i still agree with some of your points. (ex. i didn't care for the dock, so i got the 10gb.) some of your other points, i don't agree so much. (ex. lack of BT, standard FW...)