Not in time to get the intelbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iAFC, Jan 5, 2006.

1. iAFC macrumors member

Hello everybody,

I'm going to visit the USA next week, and I'm planning to get a Mac laptop. As rumored, the new Intel iBooks will be coming this Monday, so I could get one of these. But will it start to ship in time? If not, I'm seriously thinking on an iBook G4 12".

Note: I'll stay in Miami until 30/01.

Thank you!

2. jblock macrumors regular

Um, they've been rumored to be announced next week, but I don't think anyone believes they'll actually be on the shelves next week.

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

I agree. There's little chance of them being released right after MWSF. They might be available by the time you leave, though.

4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

No need to worry. Loads of third-party retailers will still have iBook G4s in stock, even if Intels are announced, I doubt Intels would ship straight after.

5. aaandrewww macrumors member

They also may lower the prices to clear out some inventory after they anounce them or give out a coupon or free ipod something.

6. iAFC thread starter macrumors member

After the new iBooks are announced, will I be able to buy a G4 in an Apple Store or they're gonna stop selling it?

7. InfiniteLoop1 macrumors member

InfiniteLoop1

they might have some refurb ones in the store but it wont be on front page. no doubt apple will have quite a few left over so you will still be able to pick one up. if you can do without then wait, maybe there is some way of hiring one?!?!?!!?:eek:

8. asherman13 macrumors 6502a

asherman13

in the past, i believe that people have been able to order the new stuff from the apple store online, and it says that it will ship within 1-2 weeks. unless my ical widget it deceiving me, you'll be here for almost three weeks after the rumored announcement (jan. 10).

9. iAFC thread starter macrumors member

Oh, I forgot to say. I'm going to stay in Miami until day 21, after that I'm going to visit the Caribbean. January 30 I'll get a flight back to Sao Paulo at night. I think it's possible to buy the iBook by the afternoon... Wow, that's gonna be a very busy day. So, please don't buy a new laptop until February, think about this brazilian tourist who will be very disappointed if the stock is over! :p

10. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

Where at in the Caribbean? I'm sure there must be Apple resellers there but I'd check to make sure... I'd hate for you to go back to Brazil without a mac.

11. iAFC thread starter macrumors member

I'll visit Key West and Cozumel. But I'll probably get my iBook at the Aventura store.

In Brazil there's a lot of Apple authorized resellers, including some ATC's. But Mac prices are soooo high! Take a look at our pricelist (to convert Reais in Dollars, divide by 2.30)

12. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Isn't there customs and duties in Brazil?

13. iAFC thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I'll have to pay US$ 250.00 in import taxes.

14. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

All the rumors I have heard say that the Intel Powerbooks or iBooks will be annouced next Tuesday, but won't ship until the beginning of Feb. So you might miss them by a few days, but we will find out for sure next week.

15. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Yeah, definitely still a good deal in comparison to that price list you posted

16. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

pros:

most likely lighter...some are jealous of the pc world's ultralights in 4 lb range
    better battery time
    more bang for the buck

cons:

may not ship for several months
    new motherboard may have issues
    os may have issues with new architecture

but at least when you buy apple, g4 ibook or mactel ibook, you are getting a superior product than most, if not all, of the pc offerings in a similar price range