Not just the MBP heat, but brick too?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sesshi, Jul 20, 2006.

1. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Hadn't paid much attention to the power brick before, but since I had mine fail I've just bought two spares since Applecare were utterly hopeless about getting one to me in a reasonable time. Now I've been swapping both to and fro and both are recording in-use/charge external case temps of circa 60C. I just noticed this because I put my bare foot on the PSU and was seriously hot.

Ambient temp here is 30C. I'm also using a Sony alongside and the VAIO's brick is recording a comparatively frosty 45C - and I thought that was darned warm most of the time. I wonder if this is safe?

2. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

It might not be. But according to EMW ( I think that's the username) the whine and overheating is due to a faulty power adapter. In which case, go and buy a new power adapter and see if that works.

3. Sesshi thread starter macrumors G3

Sesshi

Perhaps you misunderstand me. I mean the case temp of the Power Supply is 60C, not the MBP. I have bought two brand new power adapters since mine failed and the crap Applecare couldn't replace it within even two days. Both are showing the same temps when in use. It's literally burning hot to the touch.

4. macidiot macrumors 6502a

Oh yeah that power brick runs hot. I noticed that within minutes. When I picked it up and noticed the searing heat ;)

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Same goes with my iBook! I mean, that thing can get HOT. To the point where I'll yelp if I hold it longer than 5 seconds... :eek:

Normal. :)

6. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

My brick is usually quite hot. It has weird phases where it's actually cool to the touch though. Then I just like to hold it in my hands. When it's delightfully warm and I get hold I'll set it in my lap :p

7. Xander562 macrumors 68000

Xander562

mines not THAT hot, it gets warmer than my brother's Dell brick, (his is actually the size of a brick) but it is by no means a searing heat.

8. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Always make sure your power brick is exposed to the air. (Powerbook or MB)

I dropped a pile of dirty laundry on mine once, and it started melting some plastic it was sitting on, and I burned myself picking it up. :eek: