Not Mac Related. Building collapses in New York

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by Backtothemac, Apr 25, 2002.

1. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

It is on cnn, fox, abc, and cbs. They all say details to come. I am at work and at their mercy. Please anyone with info please post.

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Here's the details so far:

CNN.com:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- A number of people were injured by what police and fire officials described as either an explosion or a building collapse Thursday at a technical school in Manhattan.

The incident happened at Apex Technical School in the Chelsea neighborhood.

No other details were immediately available.

3. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Update:

NEW YORK (CNN) -- At least 21 people were hurt by what police and fire officials described as an explosion Thursday at an eight-story technical school in Manhattan.

The incident happened at Apex Technical School in the Chelsea neighborhood.

Streets in the area around 19th Street and Sixth Avenue were closed to traffic.

At least 21 people, some with cuts visible, were being treated at the scene.

Police, fire and rescue units responded to the blast, and some rubble was visible on the street. But no fire or smoke was evident.

More than 100 firefighters were on the scene, fire officials said.

4. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Like NY needs another building blowing up. This sucks. But for what its worth, I don't think it would be a terrorist attack. Not high profile enough. But it is in Manhattan, anyone know where?

5. britboy macrumors 68030

britboy

"The building is located on West 19th Street, between Sixth and Seventh Avenues in lower Manhattan." (quote from the bbc web site)

Great. My fiancee has just gone to NY for the final leg of her world trip :( Phone, i need a phone!!!

6. SPG macrumors 65816

SPG

my brother works a block away, his coworkers saw the blast. They're talking about going home in case of chemicals in the air and any other fallout like asbestos.

7. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray