Not Mac Related, but I need help with my TV

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kgarchar, Jan 4, 2007.

1. kgarchar macrumors 6502

Sep 21, 2006
    So I have this HDTV, but it has not built in tuner. Is there a HDTV Tuner to get the broadcasted channels that I don't get on Time Warner? It's kind of a pain when I want to watch my favorite show (Lost) and it looks terrible.
  2. EricNau Moderator emeritus

Apr 27, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    I believe HD channels such as ABC and NBC are offered separately from the "normal" quality channels and are only available through your cable/satellite company.
  3. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    what is your question dude, it is unclear! do you want to watch abc, cbs espn things like that in HD or are you saying something different?
  4. nicolle19 macrumors member

Jan 4, 2007
    I believe if you have Time Warner cable and you have the HD cable box you should get the local HD channels. If this channel for some reason is not available yet in HD through Time Warner you can get some HD bunny ears from BB and get the Channle OTA in HD.
  5. Aniej macrumors 68000

Oct 17, 2006
    This goes for comcast too. I am still lost as to what you are asking, but if you simply want HD you typically need to pay $5-$10 more for it (I think well worth it) and note that many channels such as those we have listed above are on different channels than the SD channel. So for example, NBC is channel 10 where I live, but to get the HD version it is channel 232.
  6. aj98 macrumors member

Nov 16, 2006
    No built in tuner *at all* or just no ATSC tuner?

With an NTSC tuner, you'll be able to get over the air, standard free tv, at least until the magic date arrives and the gov't forces local station to turn off analog broadcasts.

With an ATSC tuner, you'll be able to get over the air, over the air digital, and, if the local channels do it, over the air HD.

If your 'TV' does not have either tuner, then you don't have a TV, you have an HD monitor. You will need a cable or satellite providers box.
    Directtvs HD box has built in tuners, cable provides it with basic service.

You might also try your local electronics store for an inexpensive set-top tuner.