Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Something I found rather un-apple like was not being prompted for Disk 2 when reinstalling OSX.

It just spits out Disk 1 but doesn't explain why or what it wants next.

samh004

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2004
Australia
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

Never big been asked bug most things are on DVD these days so there's only 1 disc.

Your posting in the MBA forum, do you intend to be?Perhaps if your installing through another machines drive the kinks haven't all been worked out.

matthewHUB

macrumors 6502
Nov 29, 2005
Something I found rather un-apple like was not being prompted for Disk 2 when reinstalling OSX.

mine did. it restarts, then says stick in disc 2.

duffyanneal

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2008
ATL

It depends if you need anything from the second disk. I did a clean install with no iLife apps and it did not ask for the second disk.

Halon X

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2005
Malibu, CA
I encountered the same issue doing my re-install. Was confident it was time to put in disk 2 (why else eject disk 1) but opened the install log just to be sure.

Ever minute or so a new line would append to the log, it wasn't finding something it needed but wasn't really clear on what exactly it needed.

Put in disk 2 and she was happy again!

steffi

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 7, 2003
Exactly how it went down for me

Message wasn't too clear

I encountered the same issue doing my re-install. Was confident it was time to put in disk 2 (why else eject disk 1) but opened the install log just to be sure.

Ever minute or so a new line would append to the log, it wasn't finding something it needed but wasn't really clear on what exactly it needed.

Put in disk 2 and she was happy again!

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
As someone who's done a couple of reinstalls on my MBA already... it is correct that you will NOT be prompted for Disk 2. When Disk 1 gets ejected, you should just go ahead and insert Disk 2, even if you are not prompted for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.