Not really meant for here

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by jer446, Jun 11, 2005.

1. jer446 macrumors 6502a

I didnt really know where to look for this, and was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. My brother has a verizon wireless cell phone. the other day he checks his voicemail, and one of his messages is a very very horrific thing, which i will not repeat. In the message he broke several laws and my whole family wants to find out who the person is so the authorities can handle it. We called the local police station and they said they can arrest the person as long as we have his name, but on my brothers cell phone it came up unavailable. Is there anything i can do to find out who the person was? Verizon would not tell us because it violated the privacy act.

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

try calling the # back or look in a phone book( could take a long time but)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

I would have thought the police would have powers to get numbers from the 'phone company in situations like this – apparently not.

4. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

If you can find the phones number, you can probably use Google to find the address. Example. The first result returned, is often the right one.

5. buryyourbrideau macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

when i "ran away" a few years ago, the local police got the cell phone number of the persons mother of who i was with from her wireless provider

so i am almost sure that they can get the number and or name.

i dont know why they wouldnt, they obviously got it in my situation

6. runplaysleeprun macrumors 6502a

runplaysleeprun

i imagine he's saying he doesn't even have the phone number, as it came up unavailable. at least, in all the phones I've had, it wouldn't show the name, only the number, unless they were in my phonebook. so, if it was unavailable, odds are, he doesn't have the number. If i were you, start writing letters to various agencies that may have some sort of jurisdiction in something like this, especially if laws have been broken, pleading your case. while many won't be jump on the case, you may get a bite.

7. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes the number came up as unavailable, otherwise i wouldnt have a problem finding who the person was. Im going to keep trying to call verizon.

8. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Is it possible to record the message somehow? It might be necessary as evidence, as it's entirely possible that it could get erased accidentally, intentionally, or as the result of some automated policy.

9. jer446 thread starter macrumors 6502a

yes i have it saved on voicemail, and if needed i could transfer it to my computer. But that isnt the problem, i need to find this unavailable caller first, because i cant recognise the voice.

10. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Contact your State Attorney's office for some assistance also.

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

12. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My point was that perhaps you should transfer it in case something happens to your voicemail copy. You might need the evidence.