Not receiving Email Notifications?

Discussion in 'Site News' started by arn, Jun 9, 2003.

1. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

It's come to my attention that some users are not getting email notifications.

This has been a small problem in the past, which I've not been able to track down.

There is some suggestion that it may affect .Mac accounts mostly... in which case it may be due to over-agressive filtering.

Can those who have had problems, let me know if it occuers with .Mac accounts specifically?

arn

2. CMillerERAU macrumors regular

hey whadayaknow, I thought something was up. I use .Mac for Mac Rumor's email and I haven't gotten anything in forever.

3. wsteineker macrumors 6502a

wsteineker

This was a HUGE problem for me as a .Mac subscriber for the past few weeks. Then I came home tonight and found an e-mail notification in my inbox. That being said, I'm pretty sure this one was the exception rather than the rule. I've been missing out on a lot lately due to this problem.

4. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Sorry if this is a dumb question, I'm kinda new at this, but am i supposed to be getting email? I don't remember seeing any at all.

edit: Oh wait, if I subscribe to threads I would get some right?

5. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

.Mac problems...

I switched my forum email to another account just so that I can keep up with things.

There was talk of some backlogs in the .mac email servers that they're trying to get sorted. I'll keep trying with the .mac address every so often to see if it's working again...

6. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

This story says that .mac is blaming mail problems on Bugbear.b virus.
    In any case, I haven't received subscription notifications on my .mac mail for about a week now.
    Thanks for looking into this.

7. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Well I have always been getting the mail and I have a .Mac account... the recent (just this last 2 days) delay in the mails must be from the Bugbear virus, I suppose...

irmongoose

8. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

Re: .Mac problems...

Rower - did that help?

arn

9. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I've started getting some again, but not as many as I should. How come its not affecting any emails from other places if its a virus? Yes it appears to be .Mac, no-one else has mentioned it.

10. arn thread starter macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

I think Apple has aggressive anti-spam filtering.

arn

11. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Maybe someone got through to the .Mac people, because my subscription notifications are coming again. I wrote .Mac and implied that I wouldn't stand for any censorship of MacRumors e-mail, no matter how much they may not like the opinions expressed on the forums!

12. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Count me in as one who has a .mac account and has NOT been receiving MacRumor Email notifications for about a week now...up until a week ago, everything was fine.:(

13. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

Well i get all sorts of spam in my .Mac. My mail.app spam filter is on but i've checked it and no macrumors stuff ever goes in there.

14. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

Conspiracy theories aside

I do not think Apple would do that. You must think Apple is in control of this situation but more conventional wisdom tells you that a virus called BugBear is to blame.

My experience is similar to others on this thread: my .Mac mailbox is not receiving notifications from MacRumours. The way I see this, it is a problem for MacRumours to sort out, not Apple. Perhaps the site should be hosted on a dual 970 XServe.

15. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Arn,
    Yeah, I just thought the forums were getting unusually quiet. I havent gotten any email from MacRumors to my .Mac account for about a week now.

Is there any solution as of yet?

16. irmongoose macrumors 68030

irmongoose

Seems I'm getting much less than I'm supposed to.. but at least I'm getting some... getting about 3, should be more like 10.

irmongoose

17. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

well....

odd thing is, since I posted my comment in this thread, I started getting a few here and there.

18. amnesiac1984 macrumors 6502a

I seem to be getting them now, although I get updates when there has been no new posts to a thread.

I once got an email saying shadowfax had replied to the hail to the thief thread, when I click on the link my post is still the latest one. THey are not late arrivals as the time on them is up to date.

This has happened a lot and is very wierd.

19. JPGR_Fan macrumors regular

JPGR_Fan

Similar experience to what amnesiac1984 posted. Maybe they are catching up with missed notifications.

20. voicegy macrumors 65816

voicegy

Sandy Eggo - MacRumors Member since 1-1-2002
    Email notifications are POURING in now to my .mac account.:)