Not refreshing folder content! (OSX / Finder)

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by Dr_Maybe, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Dr_Maybe macrumors 6502

Dr_Maybe

Is everyone else as annoyed as me about folders not getting properly refreshed in OSX?

For instance, if I use the "Open..." dialog in some application i can see the 3 files in a particular folder. Then I switch to finder and copy 2 additional files to that folder. Now there are 5 files in that folder. Go back to my app again, hit the "Open..." dialog. It only shows the 3 old files and not the 2 new ones! Argh.

You have to do quirky tricks to make it show the new files. What I do now is usually dragging the new file to the open dialog and they magically appear there as well as they should - quite unintuitive. There is no refresh button as there is in MS Windows. This would be fine if there was no need for it. But obviously there is a need for such a button sometimes.

Why isn't this fixed? I bought the iBook G3 w. Jaguar as my first Mac. OSX was pretty cool, but Finder sucked quite a bit. Then I got the new G4 with Panther - an OS that is about $100 in itself. And Finder still sucks! Exposé is neat, but basic stuff like showing the contents of a folder is a bug that should be fixed ASAP!

I can't help to feel kind of stupid if I have to buy the new Tiger OS this summer to get this bug fixed. Or even worse: if it still isn't fixed.

Other Finder issues: Crashing/stalling when connecting to other computers' shares or FTP servers and these remote computers don't respond immediately.

Please tell me if you have similiar issues with Finder.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I experience this same issue; I suspect the cause is a lack of communication between Finder and other parts of the system, like Navigation Services (which is responsible for Open and Save dialog boxes). I suspect the crash/stall when connecting to remote computers is caused by either inadequate multi-threading in Finder, or thread dependencies which cause all Finder threads to stall when the remote connection thread stalls - I get this problem too. I've found another Finder bug - if you do a search, then select all of the results, send them to the Trash, then empty the Trash while the results window is still open, the Finder gets horribly bogged down and takes a LONG time to empty the Trash.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

Dr_Maybe, am i reading correctly that the problem you're having is that an Application isn't seeing new files?

i'm having the opposite problem. Finder doesn't see files that i've just downloaded or moved there. usually involves just changing to another folder, then going back. but it is slightly annoying.

also, sometimes when i go to a folder i can't see anything at all! that little progress spinner in the bottom right of the Finder window just keeps spinning. i've waiting a minute or two on some occasions and nothing at all shows up. then i've got to go to another folder again, and come back.