Not showing up on MacRumors Team...

Discussion in 'Distributed Computing' started by sjjordan, Mar 2, 2004.

1. sjjordan macrumors 6502

I joined the Macrumors team (3446) last week and have been folding quite a bit. I haven't show up on the website and the folding@home page doesn't recognize my name as being in use? My name is Stephen UAB. What's wrong??

2. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

You might not have submitted a work unit...

It depends on the speed of your machine, if it is on ___ hours a day and while its on what is it doing... Heavy Processing (video editing stuff like that) and Sleeping will both cause folding to run slowly/not at all.

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Just checked our statspage @ extremeoverclocking.com. But you aren't mentioned in the new members section.

What kind of computer do you have? If it is an oldie, than it could take a while before you finished a WU. Or you could have a Tinker....

4. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

it's an olding. I'm folding on a Tibook 400

5. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Oke, that explains a lot. and do you let it fold day and night, 24/7? Or only when you are using it? BTW, what kind of app are you using? The terminial app by MC86K, or the apps that you can download from Stanford?

6. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

It doesn't run 24/7 and I downloaded the stanford version. Was that the wrong one?

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

No, not at all. The Stanford version only works when you aren't doing anything on your Mac. And that time is very little! It saves it work about every 15 minutes. So if you are doing something different in the meantime on your Mac it stops folding and you lost the time that it did fold (correct me if I am wrong here!!). It has to do the thing over until it can save it, and then go to a "new secton" of folding on the WU.

With Mc86K's script your Mac folds most of the time. Every processorcycle that isn't used for the full 100% is being used for folding. If you are doing nothing on your Mac, it immediately starts folding with 100% processor power. If you are doing something that costs 50% of cpu power, the other 50% will be spend on folding. And it saves per percent completed.

8. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

uhh...

Both mc68k's script and the standford application will both use the idle CPU to 100%...

sjjordan -- Just don't expect your machine to produce very fast, it might take a few days...

You are only counted as a member once you submit a work unit (when you reach 100% on what you are crunching)...

so look at what % you are at now...

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Glad to have you aboard folding sjjordan. I have a dual 450, it seemed to me like it took for ever before I showed up on the stats at Stanford. It's a great feeling to see your name on the list. I did find that running the Mac 24/7 does make a big difference. With MrMacman's council I do a cool down of my Mac every 7 - 8 days.

10. sjjordan thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm glad to be a part of the team. I do have this problem though, which is really strange. I posted this morning a post on macrumors hardware section as my keyboard suddenly quit working correctly. I was able to fix it, and started running folding@home again...only to discover that within about an hour it was acting up again.

Would it be possible for the heat to mess up my keyboard? I have never had this problem before. I'm planning on adding other computers to my name and continuing to fold, but my powerbook will have to toss in the towel.

11. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Sorry for the wrong answer in the past, thanks for correcting me Mr. MacMan. Sjjordan, don't think it is the heat, probably the program and an older Mac issue. My old G3 B&W gotten very irresponsive when it was folding, the switching between the folding and normal use, this was with the Stanfords apps. After I switched to Mc86K's script my mac responded much better and quicker.

I'm not a crusade here to promote Mc86K's script, only saying that I have better experiences with it then with the apps from Stanford!

12. MrMacMan macrumors 604

MrMacMan

Yeah I haven't heard of any issues with any keyboard problems...

Hmmmm...

Weird problem.