Not sure if this is a hardware question or a gaming question but...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by raptor96, Mar 29, 2007.

1. raptor96 macrumors regular

Here goes:

I feel like I'm slowly outgrowing my 12" 1.33 ghz Powerbook. Currently my issue is with WoW on it. While playing WoW I get like 15 FPS in cities and sometimes my character just outright stops. Initially I thought it was lag but then when I turned on the FPS display it definitely showed a huge drop (and my latency is usually 48 ms). And when I've viewed it on my roommate's MBP (same wireless connection etc.) there's like little to no 'lag' in response or stuttering. I was wondering if there was something like an 'external graphics card' or something that could improve my performance. Thoughts appreciated.

2. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

3. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

4. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

768 mb. I never thought of this as the problem..I suppose it might be...

5. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

Oh yes, certiany, especially for WoW you need to upgrade to atleast a gig, maybe more. That should do the trick.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

no such thing as an external graphics card.
    some extra ram would certainly help. WoW does like ram. a lot.

i can run it on my 876Mhz Powerbook 12" and that has 64megs of VRam, but i do get a lot of lag in cities too, and i have the same amount of ram as you.

i do think you'd benefit from a Ram Upgrade, system wide, and not just in WoW

7. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

agreed

8. dartzorichalcos macrumors 65816

dartzorichalcos

I know that these are little things but might be worth trying. It might improve the performance.
    Set the Computer to Better Perfomance and Bye Bye Dashboard.

9. raptor96 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the ideas all. I think the RAM upgrade would be well advised but I may wait a bit. I only started having issues after upgrading to Tiger so perhaps the Dashboard is a part of the culprit. I've disabled it and we'll see how it goes. However, my next investment will likely be a gig RAM stick....considering that my PB maxes at 1.25 GB that might be the last bit I invest in this system before moving on. I'll let y'all know how the disabled dash works.