not sure if this is appropriate for the forums.

Discussion in 'Games' started by onthat, Mar 31, 2006.

1. onthat macrumors regular

onthat

I want to play Megaman X3 on my powerbook, I understand I'll need an emulator for the SNES and have seen several good ones (SNES9X seems like a winner). My problem is that I don't quite understand how to put the game onto my computers HDD, I'm sure I can find a version to download...but this is where I get uncomfortable asking the question, I don't know if it'll be legal. I apologize if this question leads to any unacceptable comments and ask that, if needed, someone PM me with an answer.

I'd also like to know if my 64mb vram will support WoW...realistically speaking, If it's gonna run at horribly low frame rates then please tell me so I don't waste any money. I have 1.5gb of Ram installed and a 1.33ghz G4, also I'll be plugged into a T3 connection.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

illegal emulators=£@$%^£

No worries, you already apologised for that.

This might get wastelanded. Just your asking for roms and that. which is illegal. *I can already smell where this topic is heading*

3. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You're right, it is a gray area. My personal opinion is that if you have legitamately purchased and still own a copy of said game, then there wouldn't be anything wrong is grabbing a ROM from somewhere, but I'm sure there are many different takes on the topic, what with the DMCA and all. If it weren't me, I wouldn't sweat it, not that I'm advocating what some might call piracy.

A while ago Nintendo got very irritable about people downloading ROMs from the internet, and with the upcoming Revolution being able to play classic games from older Nintendo consoles we now have an idea as to why.

As to WoW, I couldn't say. I don't play it.

4. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

So it's illegal, nevermind. Administrator will probably close the thread, thanks anyway though!

5. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Emulators are legal.

Downloading the actual game MegaMan X3 is illegal. You can make legal backups but it is illegal to transmit that backup copy to anyone. Whether or not you own the game it is illegal to download. You can buy your own backup equipment- or play homebrew games on the SNES emulator. Downloading MegaMan X3 on the internet is downloading someone else's backup copy.

Anyway, your laptop can run it. My 500 MHz G3 Pismo with an 8 MB graphics card can run SNES9x.

In fact, your laptop should be able to run an N64 emulator.

So here's the emulator. Perfectly legal.

http://www.geocities.co.jp/SiliconValley-PaloAlto/2560/snes9x.html

No way I'm linking to illegal rom sites though.
    I'd just say to wait for the Revolution, or spend $70-$80 on legal backup equipment, if you want to be legal.

6. DrStrangelove macrumors 6502

DrStrangelove

Interesting. Are there emulators for my iMac that will allow me to play my LEGAL COPIES of PS2 games?

7. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I've seen PSOne emulators but have yet to see a PS2 emulator.

Some Playstation emulators usually require some sort of BIOS that you have to rip directly off the console. At least the ones that I saw- there may be some newer ones that get around that.

---
    EDIT:
    Looks like the emulator FlareStorm (see link below) no longer requires the BIOS file. It's a PSOne emulator. However, it has a low compatability and doesn't play all games.

The emulator PCSX states on their site,
    So it also has some compatability without a BIOS.
    ---

The cheapest form of legal emulation is to buy a $10 Flash2Advance USB linker cable, and hook it up to a GBA or GBA SP (Micro and DS are a no go) and a PC (ANY Windows PC, just use some cheap $5 box or VirtualPC).

You run this program on the Windows PC that sends an app through the cable to the GBA or GBA SP, then start the GBA holding down start and select to boot from the cable. It loads the program and sends the PC the contents of whatever cartridge is in it, and the savegame.

Then you run that game you just ripped in an emulator.

Costs $10- but unfortunately you can't rip using the Mac. You can use a Windows PC for the ripping and a Mac for the playing though. Better yet you can turn up the resolution of GBA games and turn on antialiasing and they look gorgeous.

I have this sweet (but expensive) setup- I use my DS as a wireless controller, and play my GBA games in 800x600 resolution with antialiasing and multiple filters on. It's beautiful. :D

Use this site for emulators:
    http://emulation.victoly.com/

8. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Hell no. Sony has, just like Commodore, very protective rights on the BIOS. Bios/key file. something like that.

9. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

See my post above; some emulators have managed to simulate the BIOS, and are compatible with *some* games. You won't get complete compatability without the BIOS, and you can't get the BIOS without disassembling the PS2 or illegal downloading.

10. 7on macrumors 601

7on

http://www.nintendo.com/corp/legal.jsp

Making your own backup is in fact illegal

Emulators promote the playing of illegal ROMs. There is no reason to own a Nintendo emulator for any reason than illegal reasons. If you want to develop an SNES game... you'd need to go through the proper channels and get a SNES Dev Kit because even if you make the game rom it won't be published.

11. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

How about WoW, will my computer be able to handle it? I'm not looking for graphic excellence, just want to play at a decent framerate...I know what good graphics look like and I have a vivid imagination, so if it looks like poo I'll just pretend it's flawless.

15" Powerbook
    1.33ghz G4
    1.5gb of Ram
    64mb ati 9700 gpu
    4200 rpm HDD
    and a T3 connection at school

12. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

It is in fact legal. Nintendo doesn't get to say what the law is...by their logic, VCRs are illegal too. They are being deliberately ignorant on this issue. Anyone can get a cartridge copier and dump a game to one's computer and play it with an emulator 100% legally. Lots of people do this.

--Eric

13. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Yes!

My 12", 1.5ghz, GeForce 5200 1.25gigs Powerbook runs WoW just fine. You will be quite okay.

14. onthat thread starter macrumors regular

onthat

THANK YOU!! 12 posts later, someone finally sees that I asked two questions.

15. Jedi128 macrumors 6502

lol!

I was wondering when someone was going to get to that question. It was much easier to answer than the other one.

16. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's not true. Nintendo insists that it is because of the uses of the device. HOWEVER- the Flash2Advance cable is designed for uploading programs to the GBA, and can also be used for the reverse. It's primary purpose is homebrew development. It is NOT a game copying device.

Nintendo simply wants you to think they ARE. If you actually read the *laws*, it specificly says that a user is entitled to back up anything they own.

Trust me, I know a lot on the subject. Nintendo is simply trying to discourage piracy, and I can't blame them. But their arguement is: "You CAN use it for illegal stuff, therefore it should be illegal because it is designed for illegal uses." However, it's not. I'm using it for legal uses. The devices are manufactured here in the United States; they're not illegal.

I disagree. The people who develop homebrew such as DSLinux write and use an emulator to test it.

17. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

So how do you back up NES games? I have NO intention of downloading games, or of letting others download what I back up, etc etc, but just to back up and be able to play the games that I bought legally. How is this done?

18. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I could SWEAR I've seen a site selling NES rom dumpers, but I can't find any (Google is failing me, or maybe I'm up way too late) at the moment- there are a lot of guides online to building your own rom dumper, but they require a lot of expertise.

I'll google again in the morning.

GBA, Sega CD, and Playstation 1 are by far the easiest though.

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

if you have the game your allowed to download it from the internet without having to buy a rom dumper, if you dont have the game you can download it on a trial basis though you must delete it under 24 hours.

emulators themselves are perfectly legal.

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Same thing. It's illegal to record anything off TV or Radio. Yet, there is a 100% legal UK TV download site incase you missed a show or simply liked it. Soon as it's on DVD then they remove the torrent completely.

It's also illegal to lend out CD's. Nintendo say you're not allowed to even back up their games.

Law's a funny one.

21. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

That isn't true in any country that I know of. "Must delete within 24 hours" is just something that somebody made up, nothing to do with reality, or the law.

Not in the U.S. What's illegal is recording something from TV, and then showing it to an audience while charging admittance.

Nintendo can say whatever they want, but it doesn't change the law. There's a pretty significant difference between the law and licensing agreements, which generally aren't enforceable when they disagree with the law. Hence, you can lend out all the CDs you want, and back up Nintendo games (for personal use only, and only one copy in use at any time) without fear of ever being arrested. Well, not yet anyway.... On the other hand, thanks to the idiotic DMCA, it's illegal to defeat copy-protection.

It differs from country to country....

--Eric

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Thing is though, if you buy a game. If you have anything to do with the game then you are agreeing to the EULA. Regular laws aside, if the EULA states you have to play a game wearing a pineapple on your head then you better bloody do it.

On a similar crazy-law note. A freeware PC game was released about a month ago. It was semi-popular (Not as much as my Sam I gotta say :p ) then a publisher wanted to sell it for him about 2 weeks later. So, he bundled a level editor with it, asked all the sites it was on to take down the link/file for the free version and is now selling it for $17.
    But, because my EULA says that this is freeware and distributable I can actually upload the file to my site and people can get it from there. It's only the latest version with a level editor that is being charged for.

23. Eric5h5 macrumors 68020

The validity of those licenses has been challenged. Last I checked, they were only enforceable in 4 states in the U.S. And I'm not in one of them, so no pineapples for me. ;)

--Eric

24. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

That's a myth and completely untrue. It is illegal to transfer your backup under both Fair Use laws and DCMA.

25. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Not here; as long as you don't charge people to see it it's fine.

I'm not sure if it's illegal to edit out the commercials though (as they're the sponsors).