Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chawla2890

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 29, 2007
Yeah so I'm going to be getting a new laptop for college this summer, and have been thinking about getting a MacBook and bootcamping it with Windows if I absolutely need to. Right now, I use my computer for music, movies, internet programs, downloading, scarce use of photoshop... etc. I'm going to be majoring in Computer Science, and was wondering if a MacBook will fit my needs, or if I am better off just sticking with a Windows based computer? My friend told me that I should just get the Macbook and if needed, dual boot it. I don't have the money for a MBP, nor do I need it, I have $1500 max.

antonwalker

macrumors member
Mar 28, 2007
sounds like you would want a pc. Unless you like doing a lot of music and videos and stuff like that. Since your going to install bootcamp and stuff just get a pc for a little cheaper. Remeber anti-virus programs are your friends!:D

shikimo

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2007
Lyon, France
Yeah so I'm going to be getting a new laptop for college this summer, and have been thinking about getting a MacBook and bootcamping it with Windows if I absolutely need to. Right now, I use my computer for music, movies, internet programs, downloading, scarce use of photoshop... etc. I'm going to be majoring in Computer Science, and was wondering if a MacBook will fit my needs, or if I am better off just sticking with a Windows based computer? My friend told me that I should just get the Macbook and if needed, dual boot it. I don't have the money for a MBP, nor do I need it, I have $1500 max.

I'm not a raving-mad lunatic Mac fanboy, but for the kind of stuff you mention I'd take the Macbook. Also, the new BootCamp that's going to ship pre-installed with Leopard may very well take care of your Windows (or better yet Linux) needs for school. I suppose that ought to be your priority :cool: , but if you can verify ahead of time that you can get your schoolwork done on it I think you'll be much happier with the MacBook for all the other things you mention, and with the ed. discount you can stay well under your budget. Macbook is a snazzy machine that will last a long time, unless you get into some heavy, intense computing that requires burlier hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.