Not the music, other uses for the iPod.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by _bnkr612, Feb 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Mar 8, 2004
    I obviously know what the iPod is intended for. I was just curious what other people load up an iPod with?

I use mine for backup of all my work files, old school files, library files of my HD's. It is very useful for that. I have yet to "podcast" (though seems interesting) but it seems like there is more out there...

2. macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    well, if you want to make this a thread full of "uses for your iPod" sometimes i use mine as an external HD, but mostly its for music between classes and solitare in class. But i just bought a pocket PC for that, so the ipod will now be mainly music... but school files as well...
  3. macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    My iPod is full. 4.3-ish GB out of 5 GB.

So its for music. And an old backup. That I zipped, tar'ed, and then sit'ed to make fit. That is gone now. :D
  4. macrumors 6502

May 20, 2004
    Lawrence, KS
    i put linux on mine.
    the only thing i store on it besides music is things i record in linux (and i also use it to play better games than what come standard)
  5. macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
  6. macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    this is why im struggling with what iPod to get, i want to use it to its full extent really, i want it as a partial backup, and a music player, but i have about 16 gigs of music, but nothing that i need to back up that is huge, and i know tha ti dont need all my music with me, so i am thinking about one of the two iPod minis, i had a 3rd Gen 15 gig, but that was full of my music........

whatever one i get will be used as an address book, calender, notes, & backup as well as music
  7. macrumors 6502a

Aug 19, 2004
    Back when I had an iPod with a screen ;) I used Pod2Go to add PDA-like functionality to the iPod. It quickly and easily loads things like news stories, movie showtimes, driving directions, etc. It's actually a pretty impressive program, and it's incredibly cheap ... $10 or $12, something like that.

I also loved playing Music Trivia on long car rides ... see who can shout out the name of the song first. :)
  8. macrumors 6502a

Jul 15, 2004
    Daddy said not to talk to strangers
    Music, backup and transfering files between my macs/pc's.
  9. Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    It keeps all my contacts' details, all my calendar events, all my back-up for my laptop and that's before I even get to the multitude of songs. :)
  10. macrumors regular

Dec 7, 2004
    I back up all my documents on a 15gb 3G ipod. I only keep about 3 gigs of music on there because I guess I just don't like to listen to most of what I have. My contacts are on there but I never use that since I have a cell phone. Don't play the games because they are pretty poor.

I have been looking into maybe tossing linux on there to see about using it as an audio recorder to use with some nice recording mics I have.