Not too happy with the Genius Bar...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by crazydreaming, Mar 5, 2006.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I just got back from the Genius Bar at the Gateway store in Salt Lake City.

My powerbook has been giving me some problems and it is under warranty.
    Basically the genius wasn't a whole lot of help...

1) Trackpad buttom is loose, noisy and sometimes like clicks twice before it actually registers.
    Genius Answer: "That's just it breaking in, I see no problem, it's better this way."

2) Lately whenever I'd get back to my powerbook, doesn't matter if it was sleeping or not, I would have to move my finger on the trackpad for like a minute before it would start to move the mouse. Very wierd, and it doesn't do all the time.
    Answer: "Reset the trackpad by placing hand on it"
    OK, that I can deal with

3) There is a huge line on my screen, it looks like a huge scratch or dead pixel, but he said it's actually a hair. I aggree, but he said there's nothing that can be done. I guess I understand but it's very annoying to look at all the time... Good thing I'm not a professional photographer or something where I need every single pixel.

4) This is wierd, I've had windows 'sticking'. Like at random times, a window will not move when you try. However, as soon as you use expose, the window will fly to the spot you were trying to move it too. :confused: This has been happening for awhile, even before I reformatted and reinstalled everything..
    Answer: He had to see it happen

5) iPhoto is all messed up. When I click on a photo in the library to work on, it will bring up an entirely different photo.
    Here he was able to help me. I have to rebuild my hole library by basically reimporting everything manually.

So all in all, I took four hours out of my day and it wasn't very productive. I found out how to fix 1 out of 5 things by going there.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Some of the other stuff is software, which is not warranty related. But if I had a hardware problem, and the staff member were trying to blow me off with an excuse, I would escalate to the supervisor before leaving the store. If they persist is saying it is not warranteeable, get it in writing, then escalate to Apple Customer Service.

3. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Yea, so your saying you have to be a it persistant with those guys to get anywhere..

I don't think I can get anywhere with customer service as I don't have phone support because I haven't purchase applecare, but I'm considering it.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The most powerful words you can learn in customer support are "Please connect me to your supervisor" and "Please escalate this call". You are signalling your intention to get this solved, and your decision that the current person does not have the expertise or authority to solve it.

You need to climb the ladder one rung at a time though. Getting on a tech support phone and screaming "Give me Steve Jobs" doesn't get you anywhere.

5. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Thanks for the advice. Does this mean that you feel I should have got more resolved, and should try to get some of these things fixed?

Like, how am I suppose to prevent hair from getting in my screen :confused:
    Now I'm just suppose to deal with it after dropping over $2,000 on this thing??

6. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Actually, I'm a bit confused about this - the hair is not stuck in the bezel, but in the panel? There is no way this can be acceptable. If Gateway will not give you satisfaction, I would head over to Happy Sumo and then get on the phone with AppleCare. This is a legit issue - there is no way they should charge you for a legit issue. Your other option would be to go to Rodizio's and then head over to the store and make a full day of it. Keep escalating if you don't get satisfaction.

7. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

I'm not an expert on displays, but it's lighted behind the hair but you can't touch it... Hope that helps.

How do you know all those places? Are you from Salt Lake? I'll have to take your advice and look into them. Thanks!

8. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

I have had my share of poor service with my local genius bar. The last time i went though i was amazed, they actually got past their ego and were able to help me without trying to tell me everything i could be doing and why it isn't the machines problem.

After they fixed my iBook by replacing the battery, i took in my iPod (i was on a roll i thought). It was randomly losing songs, as in i never touch playlists but when i go to charge it it starts to synch 109 songs as if i had made a change, and the battery life was barely 1 hour. All they really did was sit there and muck around with my settings, i never told them to reset my eq settings, nor take if off shuffle mode, i compare my annoyance to when i take my car to the shop and all my mirrors and seats are totally re arranged and they never road tested the car.

I said fark it at that point and called apple care who sent me a box, i sent in the iPod a few days ago. I am hoping that since it is a 3G 15GB that i will get a upgrade, but i would bet they probably have a ton of these in storage :p

The "Genius" bar is hit or miss in my area, sometimes you get someone that is willing to help, other times you get *****.

Ed

9. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Yeah - That sounds like a manufacturer's defect if I've ever heard of one. And to think I was pissed because my latch isn't perfect :).

I never lived in SLC, but both the wife and I went to BYU (no, we didn't meet there). She later worked in SLC. Rodizios and it's wonderful meat I discovered at University Mall in Orem and Happy Sumo's sushi when I went to visit her will were were doing the long distance dating thing. We're heading out to visit her sister in a couple of weeks and I have been planning a visit to the Apple store and maybe to the Invisible Shield people (I want to hug them - Best. Accessory. Ever.). If you do get to Rodizio's, save room for the pineapple - it's amazing.