"not trusted" Apple root certificates

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by goscuter1, Dec 13, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2011

I get endless root certificates installed which Keychain says are bogus. Why do they find their way into my root certificate stores if they're bogus? Isn't the point of the store to - not - allow that?

nb. some of these certificates are installed with a clean install of Lion.

Attached Files:

2. macrumors 601

Mr. Retrofire

Mar 2, 2010
  3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2011
    Thanks for helping out - that's the question I suppose I really should be asking I guess? I read the article you linked - cheers! But I'm confused. I don't have a server? I don't ever believe I ever need to mount remote filesystems? My laptop and desktop have no need to ever connect to each other.

What do I need Kerberos passwords and logins and certificates for? When Lion is clean installed with an Apple Store USB thumb drive, onto a zero-filled hard drive, it installs "untrusted certificates", hidden server nodes, I'm not 'permitted' to unmount these read-only mapped drives or whatever these mount entries are:

I have all these hidden DS_Store dot files, in every folder on every drive. This is reminding me of when I bought Windows 7 Ultimate and discovered I had gone and bought a Server without realising it. Had no need for it, couldn't possibly want the security vulnerabilities, but thankfully no one told me so I didn't notice until my OS stopped operating my systems. 50 million files a few hours after a clean install. Impressive stuff. No I didn't feel stupid then, I don't believe anyone mentioned a word of the illogical 'development' to me. I found out Windows 7 = Servers on Google. This is remarkable, because they're still selling Windows Server...servers.

I see OS X Lion are now Servers. My 13" Macbook Air is a server, and no one mentioned this wonderful news to me again. Well isn't that something. I feel a little more stupid this time, but then it's all a bit creepy if you ask me.

I didn't used to have these hidden DS_Store dot files. I have Apache and OpenDirectory and stuff I'd like to never have to deal with, if it were up to me.

Is there a way I can decline - thanks, but no thanks etc?

Attached Files:

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2011
    I don't need a verified certificate. I need to understand why "untrusted" certificates for Keberos etc are continually showing up, after being inserted by Lion during 'clean' installs.

If it's not useful in communicating with third parties, what is its use or function or reason for existence?
  5. macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2009
    Google search terms: com.apple.systemdefault root certificate

In the top few results:

See the Additional Information sub-heading on that page.

Google search terms: DS_Store

The top result:

Regarding .Trashes (which is not a mount point, BTW)...

Google search terms: ".trashes" mac

The top result:

(The quoting of .trashes in the search terms ensures google doesn't strip the leading dot.)
  6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Dec 13, 2011
    Thank you Sir for the effort you went to, and I appreciate this topic would be a yawn for you but then I'm not entirely sure that yawning can be correct here. Because...I had read a couple of these already, and have read them all (and more) now, but the questions remain un-answered (I believe).

That's all good and well, but I don't use Bonjour. I have zero desire to connect to peers. I will never use Back to My Mac, I have no requirement nor any desire to share files (either locally, or remotely), and the same goes for sharing my screen.

So I wish to remove these exploits which I don't need. Apple CS may or may not have touched a computer before, between them. I have been given no evidence whatsoever to believe that they have any idea whatsoever about anything Apple / MacBook Air / Networking / Lion / Computer related.

?? This makes very close to zero aka (non)sense. Either it's trusted to perform the limited duties it's ostensibly certified to perform, or it isn't. The above is clearly nonsensical and therefore ludicrous. I've read it 15 times and it just gets more ridiculous each time. I'm calling it out.

The Wiki for DS_Store is entirely unsatisfactory, but then it does link to an adobe.com page which correctly sums up this outrageous imposition.

It's an option which cannot be disabled. Some option. To protect against the imposed non-optional security risk, you have the option to not use Lion. This is just ridiculous. There's no other word for it.

Apple creates a unnecessary security exploit.
    After complaints from users, Apple posts a semi-but-incomplete 'workaround' for users who want to protect themselves from the unnecessary and outrageously invasive incursion into territory which has absolutely nothing to do with Apple or HFS or Finder or OX S.
    Apple doesn't remove the security exploit, mind! Users who are unaware or get frustrated with the ridiculous process, are out of luck aren't they?
    And finally, there are no 'workaround' solutions whatsoever for portable drives.

Why am I pointing out the obvious, when it's almost 2012? You all have owned Apple machines for a long time, no?

This is hardly a reference page worth linking to.

Yeah that fills me with confidence that he's - clearly - an authoritative source.

No, it's funny. But not one single REASON was given, in his "Reasons for Invisibility". Perhaps I've missed his reasons? Kindly point them out to me if I have, because I know all about why files are invisible. And it's beyond insulting and offensive to suggest that users would want to be deceived.

For their own benefit, right? hah. Best not to tell them. So creepy, all of this - unbelievably creepy.

But if I may return to my original desire to unhand this forced imposition from my machine, how may I achieve this please (I paid AppleCare $300 for a support extras policy but they've never heard of a computer before). What I'm demanding is not exactly complex. Where is this app gone off to?

I imagine it had to be dumped to make way for the 20 language packs which comprise the majority of every English Lion Install ESD image. Which I'm prevented from configuring, I wonder if that's normal actually...

ps. the reference to "mounts" wasn't about the .Trashes file which is another separate outrage altogether because I have OCD, which means, I delete files when I delete them - I do not, recycle them. And it's very insulting to suggest I require an option to 'change' my mind, when the files aren't even deleted by emptying the bin, not even deleted if you securely empty the bin, not even deleted if you reformat your hard drive, not even deleted if you zero-fill your drive. And probably, by that point, some outrageous unnecessary and ambiguiously-described dot files have ferried your compromising data to a safe - remote - location. And I'm yet to be sold on an argument that makes a convincing case that ATA Secure Erase commands do the job, either - but then maybe they do because Apple goes to some great lengths to make such a simple thing, impossible. Yes, impossible. I don't care if you can do it. It's impossible on my MBA. I've spent weeks trying and failing. Whilst AppleCare claims never to have used an Apple computer before, and the Geniuses don't care for the Terminal. And don't know about hidden files. Apparently. What a bunch of creeps.

But anyway, I don't recycle. So therefore, I should have zero .Trashes folders. Instead, I have hundreds or thousands. So someone is lying. But the reference to "mounts" was referring to the below list where my /home and /net folders are auto-mounted for reasons which seem dubious on account of my inability to dismount them (I delete the /etc files but they're just auto-mounted regardless). Impossibly valid question which will never be answered, number 4971.
  7. macrumors newbie

Oct 29, 2012
    It Appears KERBEROS Comes in Peace

I've done some slight research on this "kerberos" thing and have come up with this conclusion, DON'T GET RID OF IT. Check this link: http://www.finetunedmac.com/forums/u****reads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=17477
    Or you can just read the copied text response from FineTunedMac member, "tacit":

com.apple.kerberos.kdc is a self-signed key used for Kerberos authentication when you log into another Mac in your local area network, log into Back To My Mac, log into iCloud or MobileMe, or use Apple screen sharing.

It is necessary for automatic negotiation and encryption of the username and password for these functions. It's not signed by a CA because it's not unique to a particular computer, which is why it's "not trusted". If you delete it, you will not be able to automatically log in to any of those services, even if you tell the system to remember your username and password in the Keychain.

I believe, though I'm not sure, that com.apple.systemdefault is used to automatically log you on to the computer if you have automatic login available. It also isn't signed by a CA because it's the generic encryption key that is used to protect your system password. Deleting this certificate could cause problems with logging on to your compute; I recommend leaving it alone.

Neither of these is related to the DigiNotar certificate revocation.

I have messed with this stuff before on other systems because I figured if it isn't "trusted", it shouldn't be on my machine. Well, I was wrong and upon deletion, all sorts of problems cropped up. Programs stopped working correctly, etc.

Hope this helps.