Not Using 5G iPOD for a few days.

Discussion in 'iPod' started by shiv, Dec 8, 2006.

1. shiv macrumors member

shiv

Since moving to Japan, I find I have been using my ipod less for the first few weeks. I may not use it for 3 days at a time. What's weird is that I fully charge it, use it for a bit, having almost full battery life still. Then I leave it for let's say 3-5 days, and I try using it again, only to find the battery dead. Is this normal?

Does the battery die out if it hasn't been used for some days?

I've been trying to search on the forum to see if I could find an answer. I could only find one where someone said they put their iPOD onto hold when they are leaving it for a few days.

Anyone know? Is this normal, should I be putting the iPOD on hold to help?

Thanks

2. reubs macrumors 68000

That doesn't sound normal. After even a few hours of non-use the iPod should go into a deep-sleep mode to conserve battery power. If I'm not mistaken, the deep sleep is almost akin to turning the thing off altogether.

Do you think the way you charge your iPod has anything to do with this? (quick charge vs. standard USB charge vs. whatever other option)

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

I sometimes happens to mine, the batteries do seem to drain quite a bit when not in use.

EDIT: Happened with my 3G iPod too.

4. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Putting the hold switch on definitely helps on my 4G. Perhaps it switches off the current to the scroll-wheel. I can leave it for 5-6 days and still come back to an almost full charge.

5. Quartz Extreme macrumors regular

Quartz Extreme

Turning on hold will definetly help.

Another thing to check would be to see if you have an alarm set. My iPod would always drain because it would play a rather large playlist of music everyday starting at 7:00AM regardless of whether it was hooked up to speakers or not.

6. shiv thread starter macrumors member

shiv

interesting, I will be checking the alarm situation right away and also I will give the hold button a try.

I would have thought that when you press off, the ipod would be... well off... from what I'm gathering this deep sleep and regular sleep happen when the ipod is already off?

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Well the battery is always being sucked because when not in being used the iPod still has to keep the internal clock / calendar going, so to the effect it's never really "off." That being said however, a healthy battery is supposed to deplete in about a month, not 3-5 days.

After about a day or so of being off the iPod goes from a normal sleep to a "deeper" sleep as i can describe it, where you then have to not only press "play" to turn it on but "menu + play" and an Apple logo appears. It could be that your iPod goes into that mode of sleep (my 5th gen does everyday when i have to wake it in the morning, it's normal to do that) and you are just not knowing that so your iPod could appear "dead."

8. shiv thread starter macrumors member

shiv

When I tried turning it on two days ago, it wouldn't. I plugged it into the computer, and then finally a thing grey lined battery comes on with this shabby looking lightning bolt outline next to the battery sign (in the centre of the screen) . Then I just quickly unplugged it, and I hooked it up to my wall recharger. A message came up saying that the battery needed to be recharged since it is very low.

For the last day and some, I have been using it only for about 20 minutes at a time, and then switiching it off, and putting on the hold button. I'm curious to see how this will change the situation. So far the battery hasn't drained. It still is almost full.

Thanks for the help so far everyone!