Not very cool that 2.0 available for iPhone, iPod touch left high and dry

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by MG0Blue, Jul 10, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Not very fair Apple, not very fair. :(

2. macrumors 601

Yeah you'll have to wait for *gasp* a few hours! Oh no! You can't even update the iPhone through iTunes yet, so your argument is moot.

3. macrumors 65816

italiano40

2.0 isn't available for anything
    iphone 2.0 was found in a random link on apple's web site
    it official hasn't been released

4. macrumors 65816

With all due respect what ARE you talking about? The iPhone update is only available via a cludge, not through iTunes. The iPod update must be PAID FOR and therefore will only be available through iTunes while the iPhone update is free and therefore there's a workaround available to find the update. Wait and see if both hit iTunes at the same time, if not then you have a valid complaint.

5. Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Being that 2.0 for the iPhone is not officially released, how can you say that? Someone just happened to find the download link for the iPhone version. You won't find the Touch 2.0 firmware link until after it's officially released because you have to pay for it.

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

I have absolutely no problem paying for it. What I'm saying is that it kind of sucks sitting here on the sidelines.

7. macrumors 6502a

Exactly... Well perhaps not exactly 'some random link' (someone knew exactly were to find it) but yea... the back-door download/update was NOT a formal Apple release by any stretch of the word. I'm willing to bet ONCE the firmware update is made available DIRECTLY thru the official iTunes software update process to iPhone users it will also be made available to Touch users as well.

Difference being the iPhone update will be a free download while the iPod Touch update will be a paid (9.99) download.

Dave

8. macrumors 65816

*sigh*

We are NOT sitting on the sidelines. EVERYONE is sitting on the sidelines right now unless they download from a link someone happened to find. 2.0 is not out yet, for either device, period. The comment about paying for the iPod upgrade was just to point out that Apple have to deliver that update in a different fashion to the iPhone one hence someone with waaaay too much time on their hands can find a direct link to the iPhone firmware but not the iPod one.

9. macrumors 601

Everyone is on the "sidelines"…

See this thread.
    Might cheer you up.

10. thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? Clicking a direct link to download the software on the front page of macrumors.com is someone with way too much time on their hands?

Wow.

11. macrumors 601

Wow, just wow. He's saying that the person that FOUND the link has way too much time on his hands. It's not like it just magically appeared on macrumors without someone finding it first.

12. thread starter macrumors newbie

The right thing to do at this point would be to release it officially. The horse has left the barn, people with iPhones are downloading and upgrading. Maybe not the general public, but quite a few people are.

13. Guest

Then could this be the cause of two problems that I am having with my iPod Touch? I downloaded 7.7 this morning, but when I connect my iPod Touch, iTunes freezes and my ipod fails to show up. Also, the Applications tab/ bar on the left side of iTunes is not appearing.

14. macrumors 601

Quite a few people got the final version of 10.5 from unofficial like a week before its launch in October. That didn't mean that they should've just released it early. They said that it would come on 11 July. I don't see what the problem is. Patience is a virtue.

15. macrumors member

You need to go to prefences and check the applications box.
    THen it will apprear, but still not available yet on itunes USA, Can be seen if you change countries to new zealand

16. Guest

Thanks Testeng, does this also account for the iPod touch not syncing and freezing iTunes? So I would assume tomorrow, July 11th, everything will be fine?

17. macrumors G4

Eraserhead

My iPod Touch is working OK with iTunes 7.7, though it has had some cable issues.

18. macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Once iPhone 2.0 is officially available through Check For Updates, it will also be available for the iPod touch, so within a few hours.

19. macrumors 68040

mavis

I agree completely!! ;)

20. macrumors 6502

Im just pissed I cant get Super Monkey Ball. :(

EDIT:

Never Mind.

Research fail. :p

21. macrumors newbie

You don't need to change your country to New Zealand to see the applications. I kept mine to US and I can see them just fine.

22. macrumors regular

ya, it doesn't bother me 2 much that i have to wait another day.

But on the other hand.. It really makes me sad because I feel that as an Ipod Touch user.. that Apple thinks of me as their redheaded stepchild. I have yet to feel any love fro apple. :( The only thing they care about is there little miss perfect Iphone..

Damn you Steve Jobs. Damn You!!!!

23. macrumors 68020

kkat69

[​IMG]

24. macrumors 6502

I DON'T WANT TO WAIT....
    I WANT THE UPDATE NOW!!!!!!!!!

COME ON APPLE...
    DON'T BE LAZY AND GET WORKING.....
    I MEAN IT...

I HAD TO SPEND 20 MIN ON iTunes INSTALL.... I WANT THE UPDATE NOW!!!!

Note: I already update my current iPhone to 2.0, then installed the exchange server... (I'm a developer, so I got the 1st iPhone for developmental use, and tomorrow, my company is giving me a free iPhone 3G as corporate gift to all, and to get us use the exchange server)

25. macrumors 65816

Yes, because heaven knows Apple have nothing else to do today...

Look, you need to understand how releases on this scale work. Apple will have a plan in place, complete with a LOT of alterantive scenarios, as to how, when and where everything launches over the next few days. On a very basic level it would cover MobileMe, iTunes 7.7, iPhone 3G, iPhone firmware 2.0, iPod Touch firmware 2.0 and the App Store. This is not a small undertaking, especially as most of these require downloading in some way shape or form. Contingency plans will be in place to handle any problems that occur (see MobileMe for example) up to and including full rollbacks.

Now in the case of iPhone and iPod firmware I would expect Apple to have scheduled a suitable chunk of time where they will have maxed out their support presence, have an arrangment in place with their bandwidth provider to increase their bandwidth for a time if required, ensured that it won't conflict with any other priority that may be around (again, at the moment, I'd suspect any crisis response resource is currently busy on MobileMe) and bumped up their customer support team as well. On top of this you also need to have resource available to handle any problems that occur with App Store as it's going to get hammered the instant 2.0 goes live.

Honestly, if I were Apple, I'd see no reason to rush release 2.0, or even to have it out before the new iPhone launches. The pre-requisite isn't the firmware, it's iTunes 7.7 and the changes to MobileMe. Those are both out and, hopefully, the issues with MobileMe will be sorted out by the time the big launches roll round (Europe and America mostly). Then let all the shiny new iPhones connect up, register, download all the free apps etc BEFORE letting everyone else upgrade. That's the safest path for a smooth rollout and gives them a small (relativley anyway) test base in the form of the 3G iPhone users to find any flaws. If they in fact let us existing owners upgrade at the same time then I'm actually quite impressed and REALLY want their bandwidth budget! :D

Basically you need to think about these things from a global perspective and not your own personal one. And to intercept the other whine about why they didn't launch 2.0 days ago, you have to remember it's a linked product to MobileMe, App Store, iTunes etc and in that case every day you can put on testing and preparation is a bonus. So long as everything's in place for new users on the 11th then all is well.