Not your average Nativity Scene

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Mr. Anderson, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I just hope they were being ironic when they put this lot together.

3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

pretty pathetic, and reasonably offensive to me as a christian. i say we move this to the political forum asap... cause i can already see where the jokes are gonna go about one of the three wise men...

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I think it is tongue-in-cheek and amusing. When you think about it, the appearance of the character's are somewhat arbitrary to begin with (there were no polaroids) and perhaps in today's society it takes something like this to engage interest by the masses.

also, more importantly, I think the complaints reek of hypocrisy and irony. I mean, we already **** all over the Holiday by allowing it to be a consumer/commercial free-for-all. Something like this really pales in comparison...

meh.

5. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

i'm going to hope and assume this wasn't directed at me. i do think the scene is pathetic and slighty offensive- i wouldnt expect you to pretend to know how i celebrate my holidays.

6. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

no...no, I didn't mean you. Sorry for the confusion. I meant those quoted in the article. I was not making any assumptions about how you celebrate the holidays, in fact, I thought we might come to some agreement as to the reverence the Holiday should have...now I feel bad.

7. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

ok- appologies around. its early and i need more coffee. i see your point more clearly now. cheers! :D

8. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

yeah...I am only on cup two. Plus, I am on the west coast, it isn't even seven yet!

Glad we see eye-to-eye.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

That made me laugh! They could have made it better by using Rummy maybe. :D

I really wonder about the minds that set this up. I too find it offensive.

10. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

This gave me quite a laugh. Famous people in funny outfits cracks me up. Odd choices for a manger scene, to be sure. A little irony in the "wise" men department, perhaps? I think it's an obvious jab. I love how the serious expression on Bush's face in particular contrasts with the "Life of Brian" outfit.

11. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

It doesn't offend me. I'd rather see less of St Beckham and his god awful wife if at all possible though.

12. iGav macrumors G3

It's a Nativity scene... I don't see what's offensive myself. Had abit of a giggle at the 3 wise men though, heheheh.

Yeah, like the Vatican & co are the epitome of morals. :p

13. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I see it as wrong. Just another continuing attack on Christianity. Hopefully public criticism will cause them to discontinue this display. It's offensive, but I'm called upon to be strong in my own faith. Jesus Christ is the real reason for Christmas. Sadly for many years now it has been all about money. This is just another example.

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

It's funny as hell. I can just imagine them sitting round the table deciding who would be what part in the scene, I bet they were creasing up! :D

15. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

I wish the world would spend more time fixing real problems rather than getting all worked up about stuff like this. This isnt an attack on Christianity. It's just something stupid. People getting offended is what eventually starts wars.

Laugh at it. God will still love you.

16. mvc macrumors 6502a

mvc

More depravity than nativity where these two are concerned. Post modern ironic or just moronic? :cool:

17. Xenious macrumors 6502a

I'm not one for football so I can't comment on Beckham, but Samuel Jackson as a shepard....That one cracked me up. Of course the vatican has to frown at this it's all about them maintaining the proper "image." Almost like trademark enforcement. They have to be prim and proper, but I for one think God (or whatever higher power) would have a snicker at this. People take themselves too seriously.

18. mpw Guest

Your holidays?

I thought that technically the story of the birth of Jesus is supposed to have happened in the spring. Christians only only changed the celebration to mid-winter because the pagans throughout Europe had their mid-winter festivals then and when the Christians swept through Europe converting the pagans it was easier to move the holiday to take the place of the pagan bash than convince them they were simply wrong and to cancel the regular party. It's the same reason so many Christian churchs have been built at pagan sites, often slap bang on top, and the same reason costa coffee are next door to starbucks.

No personal offense meant.

19. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

If it's an attempt at irony, it's a bad, clumsy one.

Besides, George Bush is obviously miscast. Everybody knows he's the guy who told Mary and Joseph, "Sorry, there's we don't serve poor people at this inn. Go find a faith-based manger somewhere."

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

You can always count on religion for some free advertising.

21. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

[​IMG]

Just wait and see what happens when Black Jesus goes on display.

22. Mr. Anderson thread starter Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

23. mpw Guest

(from the CNN article)"Anglicans, Catholics and Presbyterians have united in calling the exhibit a new low in the cult of celebrity worship."

Celebrity worship = The worship of a celebrity
    Celebrity = a widely known person
    Jesus = a widely known person
    Jesus = a celebrity
    Christians worship Jesus. So is Christianity a cult of celebrity worship? (I always had my suspicions)