Note 3 camera quality vs. Note 2?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by kat.hayes, Sep 7, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a Note 2 and am really considering upgrading to the Note 3. One of the biggest things I use with my Note 2 is the camera to shoot pics and videos on a daily basis. Does anyone have any idea how much better quality the camera in the Note 3 will be? Are they using the same exact camera from the S4? I know the camera will shoot more megapixels, though I want to know with regards to shooting in low light, colors, detail, etc.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 601

The Game 161

I don't think there are any differences in the camera from the S4.

3. macrumors 68040

AutoUnion39

I think it's the same off the S4. If it is, then you're getting a fantastic camera.

4. mellofello, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

macrumors 6502a

5. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

I found tho that there is a huge difference if you try other camera software than samsungs. I downloaded the android 4.3 camera and it takes completely dif pics to the samsung one.

6. Oohara, Sep 8, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2013

macrumors 68000

Oohara

I agree. I wouldn't go so far as to call it "garbage", but I was a bit disappointed with the Note 2 cam when coming from a iPhone 4S. Sometimes it is as good as the 4S cam, but I find it far less reliable. My "fast draw and shoot" photos would usually come out surprisingly well on the 4S, not so much on the Note 2.

I'm hoping the camera loads faster on the Note 3 as well. How is the cam load time on the Galaxy S4, by the way?

EDIT: Actually now that I've tested it a few times, it seems to me that the camera load time on the Note 2 has improved since the OTA firmware update recently :eek: I've noticed that the landscape/portrait has become more realible and doesn't freeze anymore since the update, perhaps cam load time is related? Because it seems to go through a gyro orientation test each time the cam is started, regardless of whether the phone's orientation has been changed sine the last time the cam was open. Has anyone else noticed this? (Sorry for derail.)

EDIT 2: I'm an idiot, forget everything I said about the camera load time. I hadn't tried turning off animations in the developer options... Now the camera starts up so much faster, holy crap why haven't I done this before? The whole phone feels so much faster now :eek:

7. macrumors 68000

nick_elt

http://m.androidauthority.com/stock-android-camera-apk-photo-sphere-236196/
    have you tried this? what do you think?

8. macrumors 68000

Oohara