Note Sharing in Class is sweet with Bonjour...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by whw5, Feb 7, 2006.

1. whw5 macrumors regular

While sitting in AP world history class yesterday, I realized something. There was another person showing up in Bonjour even though I wasn't connected to a wireless network. It was my friend sitting on the other side of the room using his ibook. I sent him a message and everything worked. He then had a great idea...... take turns doing the notes. That class has a TON of notes to be taken, so now we just switch taking turns doing them. Right after one person finishes taking the notes, he sends a copy to his partner. I must say it is a wonderful thing, note taking is cut in half, and you have someone to "talk" to in class.

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

this is one of those times that Bonjour comes in handy, it doesn't seem to have all that many uses, but when it does, its sweet.

3. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

*grumbleapworldhistorygrumblestupidcounselorgrumblebunchaidiotsinmyclassgrumble*

that's a really good idea! i can't help but wonder how your teacher feels though :eek: :eek:

4. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

I'm saying "Look. You take notes for a reason, and it's not to make you tired. If you think you can retain the information by reading it (and not by writing it down yourself), then fine. But you're putting yourself at a competitive disadvantage, not only on the exam, but compared to other students who focus on taking extensive notes for long time periods."

I'm thinking "God. That kid only takes notes half the time. I bet his essay will be half nonsense." And if you think that doesn't play into grading, even subconsciously, you're an idealist!

5. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Dude- you're an educator and you're calling someone else an "idealist"?;) :)

6. whw5 thread starter macrumors regular

Well since I have yet to get a B (or C) in high school I'm thinking my essays are not nonsense, and generally if I think its a good idea, it works.

7. mariahlullaby macrumors 6502a

mariahlullaby

You can bring laptops to class at your HS? :eek: But hey, if that's what you want to do.

I get yelled at for my PDA. I still remember last year in Chemistry my teacher getting mad at me for using it to take notes. I had used my Palm ALL year to take notes in MS Word to print out later if needed, but she was mad at me that day (I don't remember why...she was a jerk) and asked me to put it away.

Her: Maggie, put that thing away in class.
    Me: Oh, I'm using it to take notes, actually.
    Her: That's impossible.
    Me: Um...
    Her: What if I draw a diagram?
    Me: I can draw it into the program...

She spent the rest of the class finding ways to draw eleborate/needlessly complicated charts and diagrams that we "had" to copy down, all the while giving me evil glares. This was also the same teacher who was convinced her 1 year old computer didn't have a USB port.

8. Agent Smith macrumors 6502

In my class, if a kid wants to use a laptop to take notes, more power to them. I'll even try to switch them to a Mac machine if I can. I've already switched 4 other teachers... :D

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

If you're going to be collaborating on notes, check out SubEthaEdit. You can host and join over Bonjour, or even the internet.

10. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What the heck is Bonjour again? I forgot. I probably have no use for it, which is a possible explanation as to why I have no clue what it does for me.

11. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

it's the renamed Rendezvous. iChat uses it.

so do schools actually encourage the use of laptops in class now? that's really scary. i also believe that calculators should not be allowed in most classes. it's shocking seeing how many people can't do basic math without one, for example, i see people in restuarants trying to work out the percentage to leave for a tip and they have to pull out their phone with the calculator on. scary! i feel that (already poor) writing skills will suffer from using laptops in class. things like spell check just make people even more lazy than they already are.

still, it's easy to shine as they say.

12. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I'm at university studying Design and Art and we're allowed to bring our machines in. I mean why not? are you that stuck in the past? I use my machine to record guest lecturers, save as MP3 and listen to them on my iPod when swotting up. nothing is going to beat the speed and efficiency of just a pen and paper for a while but my powerbook is a needed tool.

besides. I got a D in GCSE maths. I got A's in everything else. I'm just bad at maths so I'll always use a calculator. that way its never wrong too.

13. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be

i'm not stuck in the past mate, just worried about the future...

14. kgarner macrumors 68000

kgarner

When I read the title I thought you were talking about passing notes in class. :D I have always wanted to try the collaborative note thing, but alas I am laptop-less until the fall (Then its MBP for me, baby).

I am working on a team of students that is building the new website for our department and one feature we are going to implement is a wiki for note taking of the classes. Our program will be requiring laptops starting this fall so everyone will be able to participate. Should be an interesting experiment at least.

15. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

i need to start using bonjour with other people. I am tired of taking notes.

16. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

My school doesn't, but nowhere in the rules does it says you can't have laptops. I disagree with you though, as I do not believe that computers are the root cause of youths lacking fundamental English and math skills. That's called popular culture and attitudes towards education.

I am the ONLY student out of 1,400 that brings my laptop to my high school. I'm allowed to use the laptop though partly because I basically run Student Council, Advisory Committee, Site Committee, Patriot Sound & Video, FIRST robotics, and a multitude of other clubs/activites at the school. I use it for notes in English, History, and it sees use for art related subjects as well as basic graphic design work that the school has me doing. My history teacher put up a fuss at first, but when the principal said it was ok to her, she shut up. My English teacher got confused when I pulled it out for the first time, and said she'd have to check with someone to make sure it was ok. I had her call an office, and one of the assistant principals cleared me. :)

17. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

damn, I was going to post that :p

18. MarkCollette macrumors 68000

MarkCollette

Being Canadian, we have to be able to multiply any value by 7%, for Goods and Service Tax, and then also multiply by 10% (or whatever you tip), so we kick ass at math :)

19. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

im in college and have yet to bring my laptop to school.. then again i am taking my GE's so when i get more specific into my concentration, that might change... but even then... :rolleyes:

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I take my laptop to class with me all the time.

Its helpful for those classes where the instructors switch powerpoint slides every 10 seconds and you have no time to write it down

21. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

If you weren't connected to a wireless network or any other network, how's it possible that you are on the bonjour network?

22. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You can create computer-to-computer networks. I sawe some guys playing UT or Quake on their iBooks while on a shuttle bus.

23. Aarow macrumors 6502a

What's Rendezvous:confused: ?

24. Coolnat2004 macrumors 6502

Coolnat2004

25. CompUser Guest

i brought my iBook to school today. In my 8th period study hall I pulled it out and started working. Some people of couse then look waht I am doing. Then a teacher walks by and is like "I know you guys are up to no good" and goes and tells one of the librarians who then get all fussy (fussier than normal) and I am never bringing to school again. There are a few other people that bring theres to school, but they all have HPs or Dells.