Notebook cooler

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sir. mac, Nov 21, 2006.

1. sir. mac macrumors regular

I´m bugged out over which notebook cooler I should get. The Antec notebook cooler http://www.antec.com/ec/productDetails.php?ProdID=75005

Or the Akasa model http://www.materiel.net/details_AK-NBC-01.html

The Antec model seems to be better (cooler at least), but I don´t know if it would be big enough for my MBP? Also the salesrep said something about these notebook coolers being great for laptops that blow the air out below, but as I can see the MBP clearly does not do so. So what´s the deal with notebook coolers and MBP? Anybody care to explain if these models will work with my MBP, thank you in advance

2. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Have you considered a software option? smcFanControl keeps my MBP very cool.

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

seconded.

4. cecildk9999 macrumors regular

cecildk9999

Just out of curiosity, what base speed do you set the fans to under the application? I've been tempted to use it, but am worried about how much it might shorten the life of the fans if I bump the speed too high (although a hot MBP is nice on a cold morning :) ).

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

3000RPM usually (with the occasional 3500) will keep my CPU temp around 40C which I find is very "lapable."

6. NorCalLights macrumors 6502a

I set mine to a base of 2000 if I'm using it on my lap, and a base of 1000 if it's just sitting on my desk and I don't want to hear it. 2000 keeps my 2.33Ghz MBP pegged at 50°C.

Anyway, to the OP, I would say that notebook coolers are a waste of money unless you're looking for something to rase your laptop to eye level anyway. In that case, the price difference between a cooling laptop stand and a passive laptop stand may be negligible... you be the judge.

7. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Most coolers offer more USB/Firewire ports which some people may need. For example, I have an external case for my old SATA drive from my MBP and that case requires two USB connections. Anyone with a MBP can see that while there are two, they are on opposite sides of the machine...kind of a pain, a cooler would have helped here, but then so would a hub :D

8. wmmk macrumors 68020

wmmk

what does that do with regards to noise, whine, moo, and such? or was that al gone with the smc firmware update?

9. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Can't say, since I don't have those issues. Well, I can hear the fan when I increase the RPMs but that is expected. I'd imagine you won't get moos since that is caused by drastic changes in the RPM of the fans.

10. sir. mac thread starter macrumors regular

Forgot to mention that I need the cooler for gaming in boot-camp (XP). No experiences with these things?