Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Giuly

macrumors 68040
If you live in a country that uses optical disks instead of the internet, chances are that the cMBP is worth at least a one-year salary, so likely, you won't buy neither a cMBP, nor an rMBP or even an entry-level 10" MBA.

If Apple is going to keep the cMBP, it's because they can't offer the rMBP at the same price yet.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
A lineup consisting only of crippled computers would be the push to go Thinkpad.

Shanpdx

macrumors 68030
Sep 24, 2008
Blazer town!
$1199

MBP is the best machine for $1199 ~ Still darn good upgradeable machine. I wish they bring down to $999. Still there is too much premium price @ $999

MBA - secondary machine
rMBP - Too much $$$ money and power for most of us.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
The rMBP has had hadwaree stripped out of it as compared to the cMBP. Look at the difference in battery capacity between the cMBP and the rMBP. Also, look at the battery size difference between the iPad 2 and iPad 3 to maintain the same battery life.

I'm not saying a Retina Air is not technically feasible, I'm saying it would increase the weight and thickness as there is nothing left to strip out of an Air.

You may put a retina display on the Air, and that would require a redesign. There are some factors that should be taken into consideration: (1) Haswell will consume less battery than Ivy Bridge and, should Intel be believed, far less battery, so there will be spare battery for the display; (2) Apple can cut corners of the MBA and reduce the bezel to make its body lighter, so it can handle a bigger battery without gaining any weight; (3) Apple can use improved display technology (which was not available last year) to make the display consume less battery (such as IGZO); (4) Apple could (although it probably won't happen) use lighter materials than aluminium.

B...

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2013
You may put a retina display on the Air, and that would require a redesign. There are some factors that should be taken into consideration: (1) Haswell will consume less battery than Ivy Bridge and, should Intel be believed, far less battery, so there will be spare battery for the display; (2) Apple can cut corners of the MBA and reduce the bezel to make its body lighter, so it can handle a bigger battery without gaining any weight; (3) Apple can use improved display technology (which was not available last year) to make the display consume less battery (such as IGZO); (4) Apple could (although it probably won't happen) use lighter materials than aluminium.

Your number 2 reason makes no sense. The bezel on the Air is larger to accomodate a larger battery. Cut the bezel off the Air, and there is less room in the body for a battery.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
But will Apple take the chance that the issue is fixed before making a major announcement promoting a new revised MBP with Haswell?
Intel will have to give Apple proof positive that the issues have been resolved. Will this push back Apple's adoption and announcement?
Are there other issues with this new chipset? Not sure but we will see soon.....
Did Apple start production with Haswell before Intel fixed the USB issues? Will they have to start production again?
As for the USB issue being fixed, I think we can take that as a given.

As for other issues with the chipset, there are no known issues and that is what Apple will have to base its decision to ship on.

animatedude

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2010
this year:

-drop the the high end non Retina non SSD 13 inch model.
-offer one 13 inch non retina non SSD model.
-lower the price of Retina models.
-$999 for non retina 13 inch model.
-$899 start for Macbook Airs.
-$499 start for Mac Mini

next year:

-drop both 13 inch and 15 inch non Retina models.
-offer Retina on Macbook Air

photographypro

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
American in Pisa (Italy)
Buy non Retina and a display for price of Retina

With the over $1000 you save by buying a non-Retina 15" with 16GB of ram and a fast big drive, you can add a Thunderbolt display, and have a screen that is MUCH more enjoyable than a Retina display, and STILL pay less!

(You'll actually have 2 screens, which as a pro Photographer, is the only way to fly!)

valdikor

macrumors 6502
Aug 21, 2012
Slovakia
The optical drive is not the only reason why many people still buy cMBPs. I'll probably be in the market for a new Mac laptop in the latter part of this year and the ability to buy an SSD configuration and replace the SuperDrive with a big-ass hard drive for data is far too tempting and if Haswell cMBPs do indeed come, this is what I'll most likely opt for.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
I ordered a 13 inch Retina MacBook Pro recently. Should I cancel my order and wait for WWDC?

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
There was me hoping iOS 7 would be the highlight of WWDC...

It probably will be, along with OS X 10.9. However, in terms of hardware announcements, this makes sense. The timing is right, and with Mac sales flat, a refresh might be a good idea. Obviously the rMBP is a year or two away from becoming mainstream, given the rapid price cuts, so continuing the cMBP makes sense. The rMBP appears to be where the Air was in 2009.

mbh

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2002
Give me a classic body with retina display. I'm still using those "legacy" ports and the classic is thin enough already. The flexibility of the classic is more valuable to me, and the battery isn't glued in (yuck).

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
If I were going to buy a MacBook Pro today, I would be leaning towards a cMBP with SSD. Some people still need the optical drive and if I have to carry an external optical drive with me, that cuts out some of the weight savings of the rMBP and it would add bulk. I can only see a preference for the HD if someone needs a lot of data with them and can't afford a large SSD.

And yes the matte option is good, especially at the resolution that option provides.

Although I will agree that the cMBP is not a flagship model.

I would definitely go with the rMBP, as it has everything I expect in a laptop these days, including the ultra-high resolution display...

----------

Your number 2 reason makes no sense. The bezel on the Air is larger to accomodate a larger battery. Cut the bezel off the Air, and there is less room in the body for a battery.

While this is probably true, there are ways to cut corners off the MBA and to better take advantage of the space inside the laptop.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
While this is probably true, there are ways to cut corners off the MBA and to better take advantage of the space inside the laptop.
What corners are left to cut? Oh yeah, they could solder chips for the SSD onto the logic board instead of having the SSD be a blade.

There is nothing really left to cut in the Air. Also the phrase "cut corners" has the meaning of "to do something in the easiest, quickest, or cheapest way, often harming the quality of your work". Do you really want the quality of the Air to suffer?

Last edited:

HenryDJP

Suspended
Nov 25, 2012
United States
There was me hoping iOS 7 would be the highlight of WWDC...

The biggest annoyance from Apple enthusiasts is that Apple doesn't put forth enough efforts to the Mac and OS X. iOS is doing well, the Mac and OS X could use a huge upgrade. Let alone the Mac has always been the main event at WWDC. Let me guess, you're a Windows user? :rolleyes:
Most people that have both a Mac and an iOS device are pretty excited to see both products forthcoming at WWDC.

HishamAkhtar

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2011
Imagine if they pull what happened with iTunes 11. "Oh sorry, wait another month you ****s".

Lol everyone would go ape!

iOS 7 is going to be the star of the show IMO.

Plus looking forward to more tweaks to OSX to improve MBPr function.

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
Hope this is not correct. I need a new laptop. I've been put off the current Retina MBP by the high cost and all the problems they've had with it. I was hoping they would introduce a Retina MBA as a cheaper alternative. At a push if they don't bring out a Retina MBA I would have to go with the Retina MBP but they better have sorted out all the issues. I would be furious if I spent over 2 grand on a laptop that still had the same problems as before.

Suspended
Sep 25, 2010
Why does MacRumors say Don't Buy - Updates soon for the classic MacBook Pro and Neutral - Mid-product cycle for the Retina MacBook Pro?

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Disappointing. Very disappointing. No rMBA. Delayed Haswell rMBP. And the cMBP will continue in production. I hope Kuo is wrong this time.

FYI, I seriously thought about the retina MB Pro but because of it's endless problems and the non user replaceable battery or ethernet port or dvd drive, that's why I still have the machine in my sig and am very glad they are still selling the machine in that spec along with the new RMBP.

As for iOS 7, if Apple don't announce it I can actually see the shares dropping even further because the investors damn well know iOS devices are what make the majority of money for Apple.

GizmoDVD

macrumors 68030
Oct 11, 2008
SoCal
If I were going to buy a MacBook Pro today, I would be leaning towards a cMBP with SSD. Some people still need the optical drive and if I have to carry an external optical drive with me, that cuts out some of the weight savings of the rMBP and it would add bulk. I can only see a preference for the HD if someone needs a lot of data with them and can't afford a large SSD.

And yes the matte option is good, especially at the resolution that option provides.

Although I will agree that the cMBP is not a flagship model.

So you would carry around a USB Optical drive just in case? :rolleyes:

----------

Bought my 15" MacBook Pro in November 2011, and the Retina wasn't available. I was disappointed when the Retina came out, until I researched it. No optical drive (I burn DVDs for clients, as well as enjoy watching and copying my DVDs). Non upgradeable drive or memory. Also, while most software has been upgraded to Retina, there is still work to do.

My total investment was under $1950, including tax, and that includes 16GB of RAM, a hybrid Momentus XT 750 GB drive which combines FLASH with a 7200 rpm drive with 6 Gigabit Link Speed. Mine is a Quad Core 2.2 i7. Current non-Retinas are 2.3, and the current 15" Retina starts at 2.4, which processor is only 9% faster than mine, and only 4% faster than today's non-Retina.

If you do both of the above upgrades on a non-Retina today, the upgrades cost about $200 TOTAL, which keeps the price under $2000 INCLUDING the upgrades, and you have a 2.3 instead of a 2.4 processor Quad Core i7.

Try configuring a 15" Retina with 16GB of ram, an optical drive, and at least 750GB of storage. Any modified Retina MUST be ordered through Apple, so you have to pay sales tax. Total price before tax is $3178, and in California it would cost me $3464 with tax.

Is it faster? Yes.

Is it worth over $1500 extra? I think not.

When new models come out, the previous is not "obsolete". No one here is telling you that. In the computer world, updates happen. Will my 2012 Air suddenty become obsolete once the 2013's arrive? No.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.