notepad and allocation of RAM on OSX?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by slipper, Dec 8, 2003.

1. slipper macrumors 68000

slipper

correct me if im wrong, the notepad is not used on OSX correct? please tell me im wrong.

also, this one game...starcraft... that i play a lot seems to be overwhelmingly laggy. is there a feature to allocate more memory to a certain program as found on OS9?

2. PensDevil macrumors member

Notepad is not used in OS X (as far as I can tell anyhow). A similar, yet more functional app, is TextEdit. TextEdit will open most types of text files. If you happen to have Panther, then it will even open and edit many MS Word documents.
    As fro allocating memory to Application, those days are gone. OS X takes care of memory allocation all by itself. Unless you are running Starcraft in Classic, then you can change memory allocation. Perhaps turning down some detail levels or lower the resolution you are playing at may speed things up? Good luck.

---
    Edit: changed the cannot / can typo.
    Don't you hate it hwen you are thinking one thing but type another?

3. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

By my knowlegde, if you play a game or use an app in classic, you CAN change memory allocation the same way you did in os 9, press apple i!

4. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's what he said.

5. slipper thread starter macrumors 68000

slipper

sigh i guess i will have to bite the bullet. i wanted a very simple, basic program such as notepad that i can just open up and ytype whatever i want and not have to worry about saving it.

as for the allocation of memory, i do use starcraft with classic but i still cant figure out how to allocate more memory

6. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

No its not, he said you cannot.

7. PensDevil macrumors member

Oops, my bad. That "cannot" in my over post was supposed to be "can".
    I hate when I am thinking of something but typing something else entirely. Oh well, still beats doing actual work.

8. Makosuke macrumors 603

As do many people. As a result, there are DOZENS of Notepad programs for OSX. Most have a lot of fun and fancy features.

Personally, though, I say to go get yourself a copy of Borkpad--it's incredibly simple (just like the original), launches fast, and just works. Good stuff, and will do just what you want.