Notepad equivalent on a Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by exe163, Jun 6, 2010.

1. macrumors regular

May 13, 2010
    I a new to mac. I am trying to open a ".config" file but I get this error message: "There is no default application specified to open the document xxxx". Normally, on a Windows, I would just force open it with notepad as it conly contain text. How do I do the same with a Mac?
  2. macrumors 68000

Aug 26, 2009
    Totalitarian Republic of Northlandia
    Try changing the extension to .txt or to .rtf. This way you can open it with Textedit.
  3. Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
  4. macrumors 68040

Jan 25, 2009
    Click the file once so it's highlighted, and either press Command + I or go to the File menu and select Get Info. From the Get Info window, below the Open With pop-down list choose, TextEdit. Below Use this application to open all documents like this. click Change All...
  5. macrumors Core

Jul 24, 2006
    The Ivory Tower (I'm not coming down)
    You shouldn't have to change the extension to open it with Textedit. If it's a config file you shouldn't do that anyways.
  6. thread starter macrumors regular

May 13, 2010
    Thanks, I got it open by using Textedit without changing extensions.

I have few more questions:

With the search on the upper right corner, after I find my filed, how do I get it to show up at the location the file is in? I can't even right click the file.

Is there a "My computer" for Mac? The finder feels like just a regular windows, especially sometimes it won't even show all my drives. I have to close all finders and restart it.
  7. Guest

Sep 7, 2008
    forlod bygningen
    Select the file and press CMD+ENTER to open up a Finder window with the folder the file resides in.

Finder is "like" Windows Explorer, several Finder windows are just windows, not Finders.

Have a look at the Preferences in Finder and see what it says UNDER GENERAL AND SIDEBAR.

Also have a look at the following links, as the information presented there might be helpful in your future endeavours into Mac OS X and could clear up initial confusion and may even prevent harm to your system or your files.

Mac OS X Basics

Switch 101 - guide with articles made by Apple on how to accustom yourself, after you switched to Mac OS X from Windows​

Mac 101 - How to get started with Mac OS X​

Find out how - tutorial videos made by Apple on how to do certain thing in Mac OS X​

Pro tips - tips made available by Apple for easier ways of doing certain tasks​

Mac OS X Keyboard Shortcuts - Learn about common Mac OS X keyboard shortcuts.​

Mac OS X Beginner's Guide by MacRumors - learn about software, media players, shortcuts and some useful tips, tricks and hints​

Mac Guides - tutorials, product guides and more​

MRoogle - a very effective tool to search these fora using Google and made available by edesignuk, introductory threads: 1, 2 and 3