Notetaking apps?

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by sk1wbw, Feb 4, 2012.

1. macrumors 68030

sk1wbw

What's everyone's favorites? Not found something that strikes my fancy until I got Noteledge.

This one seems to offer a lot for a reasonable price.

2. macrumors 65816

My favourites are Notability and Circus Ponies notebook. 7NotesHD Premium is a close second.

3. macrumors demi-god

anjinha

I love Noteshelf.

4. macrumors member

I second Noteshelf. I just downloaded it a couple hours ago and I'm pretty much certain this is going to be my permanent note-taking app on my iPad.

I've used Penultimate, Notes Plus, Noteability prior to this.

Penultimate had great inking but a limited feature set.

Notes Plus is like a bad Windows app. It gets a lot of love because it crams in every feature you can think of, but all of that is at the expense of a piss-poor design, unintuitive controls, and an ugly, UGLY interface. I had this app for the longest time and the recent update made it even uglier imo. Even the new logo for this app is ugly.

Noteability is a pretty solid note-taking app that I'd recommend if you want something similar to Notes Plus on a features level but that does it all better. It's a pretty decent, streamlined version of that and it works well.

Noteshelf, on playing around with it for the past few hours, immediately stood out to me as by far the best of the lot. It combines some very good inking (not on par with Penultimate but better than Notes Plus and Noteability) with a fantastic interface and controls. All the essential functionality I want is in this app though I should note that voice recognition and PDF annotations are not included (if those are essential for you, go with Noteability). But everything is just better thought out than the previous apps. It feels like an app that Apple could have put out - clean, elegant, and functional design.

The whole thing is very intuitive to use and I actually really enjoyed using this app, unlike the previous ones. My only wish is for higher-resolution PDF export (the handwriting exports at the resolution of the iPad, though the text exports beautifully). If they add that, this will be my perfect note-taking app.

5. macrumors regular

I have purchased many note taking apps - still looking for the one that has it all. I don't think I spent much time looking at Noteshelf because until recently it did not support typing entry. A couple of questions for the Noteshelf experts, please?

Can You import and annotate a PDF with Noteshelf?
    Does is support nested folders?

Thanks

6. macrumors 6502

Readdlemate

You can do all of that in Readdle's brand new app - Remarks.

video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HikaEE70604&context=C3b097efADOEgsToPDskJswMcIfuWo4DXafqsrJNzw

7. macrumors 6502

Notability appears to have the most complete featureset. I'd like it to have a little more finesse (more predictable line-end zoom behaviour, UI refinements), and better inking, à la Noteshelf or Penultimate, but I don't think anything else quite matches it.

8. macrumors member

-You cannot import and annotate PDFs yet but I submitted a comment to Noteshelf support and they replied back saying import/annotations for PDFs and voice recording are being considered for future development.

-They have intentionally not supported nested folders (it's stated in the user manual) to avoid the mess and confusion that comes with it. You can have groups of notebooks but you can't have a group within a group. Because of the bookshelf way of displaying things, it probably would get pretty messy if you could just keep going in and in and in. I also assume it would get messy for their pass code feature (you can lock your groups or notebooks with pass codes).

For pure features, I agree with calb that Notability is where it's at currently. For user interface, overall experience and polish, go with Noteshelf.