Nothing but DS games

Discussion in 'Games' started by Dagless, Aug 31, 2006.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

... dominated Japan this week. Anyone else seen the absurd top 10 list? Since when has a most sold list every consisted of just 1 system?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=116998

I own 3 of those top 10 games :p and 7 of the top sold systems!

What's your take on the DS's success in Japan?

2. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow DS is taking over Japan! Also it find it very fun that the Game Boy Micro is outselling the xBox 360!

3. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

I know, it's pure insanity! IIRC Tingle RPG comes out next week, I'm curious to see how that performs. *shivers*

4. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Wowza. FFIII is headed fast to become yet another "1,000,000+" copies sold game. Must be one of the fastest selling DS game to date. I want FFIII so bad. Big Red Mage fan here.

5. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

Indeed, the DS owns Japan. I was going to pick up starfox today but the thing got so many bad reviews I don't want to risk it. I might be going back to the GBA soon because I can't find a good DS game...I wonder how the mario basketball game is.

Bless

6. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

?

Looks like the reviews for Star Fox aren't that bad so far. But not my kind of game. I'll probably pass.

95 Nintendo Power
    90 Yahoo Games
    85 GamePro
    85 Planet GameCube
    85 Deeko
    82 GameBrink
    80 IGN
    80 GameSpy
    80 Games Radar
    75 GameSpot
    70 GamerFeed
    70 1UP

Average: 81 (As of time of this post) 23rd best rated DS game out of 125.

Link

7. Deefuzz macrumors 6502a

Deefuzz

Because the DS is an incredible system.

I too own 3 of the top games and 8 of the systems...soon to be 9 :D

8. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I only trust IGN and Gamespot but I was talking about forum reviews and reviews from gaming but I will look into it though.

Bless

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

my import (Starfox and Opera Browser) should be here soon. I hear Starfox varies greatly, probably due to the shift in gameplay. I'm going to go at it as if it were a fresh series so I'm not let down.

10. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Let us know about the DS browser. I really don't trust the reviews I have read as they usually try to compare it to a browser on a PC and also they don't try mobile sites or sites with few images. IGN is usually really good but from reading the Opera board their review of the browser is way off.

11. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I'm in the mood for a new DS game.. what should I get? (spending limit for myself: $30)
    I already have:

-Mario 64
    -Mario Kart
    -New Super Mario Brothers
    -Animal Crossing
    -Bomberman
    -Brain Age

12. Tommyg117 macrumors 6502a

Tommyg117

trauma center.

13. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

oh god I went around to IGN before to read about GBA RPG games. Oh dear. They actually rated this Hamtaro RPG game (brother has it!) an 8!!! EIGHT! there is no gameplay in there at all. It's utterly horrendous as far as games go. they actually rated it equal to The Legend of Zelda.

I couldn't trust IGN as far as I could throw them. there were so many boo-boos on the ratings for some games.

14. deggs37 macrumors member

Wifi is where Star Fox really shines, if you can't do wifi or if you don't know anybody else with a ds then its not worth getting if you are on a budget.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Advance Wars DS, Tertis DS, or Metriod Hunter

16. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Trauma Center or Phoenix Wright!

17. jalagl macrumors 6502a

jalagl

Castlevania DS is amazing. I still play Meteos for hours on transatlantic flights.

18. Moshiiii macrumors 6502a

Moshiiii

The people on Star Fox wifi are wayyyy to cut throat for me :(

19. deggs37 macrumors member

I haven't ever played an Advance Wars game but I always hear about it, what would you say it compares to in terms of gameplay?

20. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Cross Age of Empires with Chess.

Turn based with different units that have different movement patterns, but you capture buildings which you use to build those units as you battle and move them across a large map over a long game.

Quite fun.

21. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

Ok Starfox arrived this morning. gotta say, I've beaten the Corneria levels and it's terrible. I tried my best to think of it as something new.

Starfox games have always been about this beautiful rail shooter levels, eventful and fantastically themed ones at that. but with every level (or where I'm up to) being open ended fields where you dog fight the easiest of enemies to collect 'tags', urgh. When was Starfox about collecting bits? the music fails me. I love the control style personally. it's a little slow to get used to but just so precise now. sorry to see there was no first person mode :( I really hope this picks up... the soap opera style storyline is a little... bizarre.

22. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Beat you I own 9 :p But I wont be buying a GBA micro so it will stay at that figure...

DS is a cultural phenominum in Japan.

Starfox -jimmi?

Yeah they've ballsed around with the formula too much. Starfox assault on the cube was ok in the sections that stayed faithful, but the running around crap really peed me off... I wont be picking this up I'm afraid...

What i want is Pilotwings DS - a conversion of the N64 classic with updated stuff. That would be SWEEEEEET

23. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

Very nice numbers for Nintendo. How does that compare with America? DS seems to be the system of choice in Japan right now. Xbox360 is not. Wonder how Wii will do in comparison to PS3.

OT: I just realized yesterday how hard it is to play Brain Age on the subway. Couldn't draw a straight line for nothing. I need a new game I think :)

24. asxtb macrumors 6502

Wow! Cooking Navi at number 5. That 'game' actually is making me consider buying a DS. Maybe I can learn more than spaghettie and tacos.

25. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Ya GFLpraxis nailed it on the head, its tons of fun..i plan to pick a copy up for my Micro..simply because my Micro comes everywhere with me, so i figure its be nice to have a copy of my favorite game with me at all time!(i'd say get the DS on first, simply because you can use the touch screen to play, but teh D-Pad and A button work fine, but the choice is nice, and on the GBA model, you don't have the choice