Nothing but problems... how is yours??

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by steeleclipse, Feb 26, 2003.

1. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Ever since I installed the 10.2.4 update, my streamlined sexy mac os has turned into a virtual win 95 beta.... everything is going wrong!!!

My clock resetting, kernel panics, freezing at network startup...

The specs: Dual 867 MDD 512 MB, NO IT IS NOT THE HARDWARE!

Can someone tell me how to uninstall 10.2.4 and turn back the hands of time to 10.2.3, a place where my Powermac flourished??? Thanks guys

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

i'm pretty sure you're going to have to reinstall and start from the ground up.... definitely sucks

i'd wait to hear from a few more people. but i'm pretty sure that's the only way. you could just do an archive install and it wouldn't be TOO painful..

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

have you done the usual, repaired permissions and fsck -y? also could be the PRAM battery, but you seem pretty sure it's the OS. downgrading is a pain, try to fix it if you can--

pnw

4. FelixDerKater macrumors 68000

FelixDerKater

There should be a note at the top of this forum: Before posting questions about problems with OS X, please zap your PRAM, run Reapair Permissions from Disk Utility and reboot into single-user mode and run fsck -y. It also wouldn't hurt to run MacJanitor.

Yeah, that is a bit extreme, but it seems that in just about every thread someone has to say repair your permissions, zap the PRAM, and run fsck -y, and then come back and tell us what happens.

5. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Been there. Done that. :D It came to the point that Apple sent me a new battery, because this was before lots of people started complaining.

6. blogo macrumors 6502

7. Bear macrumors G3

My systems have been fine. I have plenty of free disk space. And I haven't needed to try any of the other suggestions above.

Do you have any oddball utilities that could be causing problens? Check the readme for 10.2.4 to see what Apple says may have compatability issues.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Are you sure you have good memory? we all know OSX needs good clean perfect memory.

9. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Same Problem....

I have the exact same problem, steeleclipse! From what it seems, most (but not all) Dual PowerMacs are having this problem. I, too, did all of the repairs, fsck-y, reset the PRAM, reset the PMU, replaced the battery, reset the NVRAM. Nothing. And guess what... my machine is only two weeks old (dual 1.25 ghz - FW800). I'm about ready to reinstall 10.2.3. because I don't have the time to deal with an unstable machine.

All we can do is wait for another update.

p.s.- I'm glad to hear others have this problem. Send feedback to Apple. Let them know that it's not an isolated event.

10. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

Jaguar has a good option for reinstalling now.

You can select "Reinstall, while preserving User data"

I don't know the exact wording, but it is under custom install. It erased my Dev Tools, and moved my previous system, to a "Previous Systems" folder. While not touching my users folders or my apps.

10.2.4 is really buggy, I only notice a few of the bugs, but I would think it would be right to believe that it is your OS.

11. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Pray before the altar of partitions!

Data and system files completely seperated... repairs much easier to do! :D

12. ndstephens macrumors newbie

so how do you zap you PRAM, and how/where do you run fsck-y? thanks.

nate.

13. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

zap pram by holding command-option-p-r at reboot, hold until you hear the boot chime 3-4 times... if you don't hear that, do it again.

to run fsck, hold command-s on startup till you come to a command line prompt with instructions on how to run it. (fsck -y)
    When done, type reboot to get out of there.

14. ndstephens macrumors newbie

great, thanks.

so what does fsck-y actually do? what's it all about?

nate.

15. timbloom macrumors 6502a

timbloom

fsck stands for File System Check.. Does basic repairs on the disk, it is what Disk Utility uses to fix hard drives, but disk utility can not check the boot drive, so using fsck in single user mode is the way to go with that.

16. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

repairing permissions

i have a question about repairing permissions, then. i do this every time i d/load an OS update:

1. verify perm.
    2. repair perm.

repeat 2. until all permissions are fixed.

the question: must i do 1.? i read somewhere that i should, but if it's doing nothing _but_ verifying, i feel i can skip that step.

my complaint: what's all this about, anyway? is it so hard to ship an OS update w/ correct file permissions? if the tool knows what they _should_ be, and apple wrote the tool...

17. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Re: Nothing but problems... how is yours??

i'd read in another thread that some haxies were causing 10.2.4 problems. have any of those installed?

18. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks guys for all your help...

I think I am going to go with reinstalling while preserving user data... Timbloom: since you suggested it, you get 2 points!

You are now up to -51 :D

19. DavidFDM macrumors regular

My only problem . . .

My MS Wireless Intellimouse Explorer stopped working. I think its a driver issue. Hopefully new drivers will be available soon.

G4/867 Quicksilver / 1.5GB / SuperDrive

No problems on my iMac or iBook.

- David

20. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

Re: My only problem . . .

I dunno, DavidFDM, you better send me that iBook so I can make sure its working properly. And if you could send and airport base station too, it would be very helpful. :D

21. janey macrumors 603

janey

well thankfully i'm sorta lucky
    after installing 10.2.4 on my 800mhz iBook, i get nothing but kernel panics every day (8 on average) so I'm gonna send mine in...nothing worked...:mad:

22. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Wow! That sucks a$$. My g/f and her iBook 800 are just fine, other than the fact that apple still doesn't do FTP correctly...! :mad:

23. steeleclipse thread starter macrumors 6502

I just went back to 10.2.1 and everything is working like a well oiled, non-microsoft machine... :D

24. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

25. andrewlandry macrumors member

Damn, I was having the same problems with my dual-gig (purchased a few weeks ago). Everything was cool until I installed the update and all of the sudden, it wouldn't boot at all. I had to 'option' startup, apple e and boot from the cd. i just archived the old system because i was in the middle of a video project and was just trying to get it done before wiping my computer. i tried all of the mentioned methods for fixing the problem, but it persisted. I just finished wiping my HD and reinstalling everything. Good thing I caught this thread so that I didn't let software update give me a pain in the ass again. Also I read on SpyMac that iMovie 3 causes many dual-processor macs to freeze. Yep, it causing hard crashes for me. Jeez. I can wait until Apple gets it together with their software updates. I'm just glad to know that I don't have to take my mac in for servicing or something.