nothing new at macworld

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by holy MAC!, Jul 14, 2003.

1. macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2003
    if any of you noticed, thinksecret has posted that the apple booth is open.... meaning that there won't be any new products announced.....

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:
  2. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    That would be dissappointing

Well, that would be a real bummer. But, perhaps a 15" update isn't a NEW product, as much as it is an update to an existing product...

I'm still hopeful that tomorrow's Apple Store will have an updated 15" notebook that is orderable.

Maybe I'm just smoking something.

If there's nothing announced, and I'm buying a new notebook, the question then becomes should I buy the 17" to get the most modern of the laptops available, or should I get the 15" and live with being a few months back...

I don't think continuing to wait is an option, if they don't announce new Pbooks now, then something is holding them up.

3. macrumors 65816

Nov 1, 2002
    gee... no new PB 15" still?

Suprise surprise...

Can I now say that Apple has dropped the ball? Year of the what again?

Uh huh. Sure. Whatever.

Me thinks SJ needs to think before he opens his mouth. I however do not, seeming as I am infallible (NOT).

Jim, the PB 17" is old enough to warrant an update. That is how far behind the 15" is...

4. Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nov 1, 2001
    But tomorrow is Tuesday.....that's when all the rumors say you'll get an update....who knows? But if nothing comes out new tomorrow it will definitely lower my chances of going now....

5. thread starter macrumors regular

Mar 26, 2003
    i hope that this is one of those announments where they dont' have the machines ready to be used.....

it would make sense to follow the apple scheme of trying to kill the assumption that major announments comes at conferences....

but i hope they have one of those "tuesday sprees" where they update everything.... that would be nice......
  6. macrumors regular

Jul 7, 2003
    Oh, I agree

All of the powerbooks are definitely in need of a refresh, the 15" especially so.

BUT, at least the 17" is fresher than the 15".

Honestly, the current 15" is just fine for my needs, the reason I've been holding off it to try to make sure I get the most for my money (i.e. tomorrow there may be a 1.25Ghz, with Airport Extreme, FW800, 80 GIg HD at the same price point. That would be a bummer to miss...). The Al vs. Ti case isn't a big deal to me, nor a backlit keyboard, nor better graphics.... AE would be nice, as well as a bumped processor.

I still believe something will be happening tomorrow or Wed at the latest.

7. macrumors 68000

Jul 9, 2001
    London, UK
    It looks like we will have to wait until MW Paris to see the new PowerBook line.
  8. mcm
    macrumors newbie

Jun 24, 2003
    Is it tomorrow or Wed?

Were the 15 inch PBs rumored to be announced Tuesday? Or is it Wednesday? Isn't "Joz's" presentation on Wednesday?

Too much waiting. I want to know now ;)
  9. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    people have been saying for months "they're just around the corner." my theory is that we see 1.2 Ghz G4 powerbooks in 2006.
  10. macrumors member

Jun 11, 2003
    lawrence, ks
    this is just ridiculous, school is right around the corner, and i've convinced at least 3 people to get powerbooks, and i keep saying...just wait a bit, wait a bit... they really need to update these things, i mean 6 months is too long not to update.
  11. macrumors regular

Apr 7, 2003
    Anchorage, Alaska
    I completely agree. I am going to get a powerbook before school starts and I'll be upset if I'm stuck with an out of date one.
  12. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    San Francisco
    8 months on the 15". The current line came out in November.

If it were going to be a major revision like a g5 I can see how they would need lots of time, but how on earth can it take 8 months just to bring the 15" up to par with the others?

It's kinda funny, because when Jobs announced the Albooks, he basically admitted several design flaws with the Tibooks, but now 6 months later, they're still selling the same "flawed" (by their own admission) product.
  13. macrumors 68000

Mar 17, 2003
    Re: That would be dissappointing

Of course the old machines still have OS 9 booting...I miss that sorely on my 12"

14. macrumors regular

Jan 5, 2002
    Philadelphia PA
    Wednesday is the Joz-note

not that i am holding my breath, but his presentation is Wednesday 09:30 - 10:30 east coast time.....

i wonder if there were 15inch powerbooks out yet? that's about the only thing that might have been tweaked.

this will be the first chance for the public to see/touch the G5 and 10.3 so it will be fun anyway......
  15. macrumors member

Apr 3, 2003
    Denver, CO.
    they could announce new updated PB G4's, and not have any "on-hand" models to she people.

jOz could say that they are avaiable via the online store. and since it is just G4 updates, its not much to announce, no one makes a big deal of it. a speed-bumoped update ( and bringing the 15" up-to-date with the other 2. that's it.

i think that is possible.

16. macrumors newbie

Jun 25, 2003
    There'll be NEW stuff

It would be quite silly to close the booth for TWO DAYS of the entire conference, you gits. And, they do product updates all the time without shrouds of secrecy.

Count on an update of some hardware or software product at MWCP.
  17. macrumors 6502a

Apr 24, 2003
    Huntington Beach, CA, USA
    I finally picked up a new iBook, so I really hope there isn't a refresh on the iBook line. I'll just cry.

And my money's on the new PB15 not coming out yet. It wouldn't be exciting enough yet. Now maybe by MWSF04, if they can cram a G5 in it... :)
  18. macrumors regular

Jul 17, 2002
    My uneducated prediction is that we see updates of some kind tomorrow, at the Apple Store, and that they are further discussed by Joswiak on Wednesday. Assuming no ridiculousness like a G5, a PowerBook speed-bump and/or minor enclosure update is not the sort of thing that a "feature presentation" should trumpet the release of, but it would be a nice thing for the hardware guy to talk about for a bit.

I think Apple will play it low-key. It would be weird to have giant, secret displays of a PowerBook that is new only in that it has been speed-bumped and/or is encased in aluminum.
  19. macrumors newbie

Jun 17, 2003
  20. macrumors regular

Jul 10, 2003
    Portland, OR
    I'll jump on the bandwagon that a 15" update isn't worth being all secret about. I'm hoping for something blazing fast (and available to order) in September, though.
  21. macrumors 68000

Sep 22, 2002
    New York
    Hopefully there will be an update via, and the Joz speaks briefly about it at the opening of the keynote, and then gets into the G5. Hopefully.....
  22. macrumors 6502a

Jun 6, 2003
    ugh. if they're just bringing it inline with messrs. 12 and 17, what's the hold-up been? i certainly don't expect to see a new 15" any time this week, probably not this month, and possibly not even this quarter. but when they are released, i really hope they're worth the wait and not just long-overdue speedbumps and candy. backlit keyboards are hunky-dory, but they ain't worth waiting 2 product cycles for.

i've been waiting for a prince in shining 15" aluminum armor for some time now, and i'm seriously thinking about packing it in and buying the current Ti, or maybe even a 14" iBook and just dealing with it.

i'm patient, and totally brand-loyal, but after all this waiting it's like the reality distortion field is wearing off leaving a hangover.
  23. macrumors G5

May 2, 2002
    MacWhispers has done a 180 and now thinks that not only are G5 PBs not coming soon, but that neither is an Aluminum 15". A new 'Book is still expected soon though: their sources suggest the 15" will get a minor revision to the old Titanium design instead, for now.

Take with salt.
  24. macrumors 6502

Jul 11, 2003
    In Iraq now
    Joz and PowerBooks

If there were going to be a revision to the 15", it would have happened already. 1) They wanted people to still have the option of getting Titanium in case the user doesn't care about airport or cosmetics... ( IF ) 2) They have likely been working on a revision of the entire powerbook model. Now I think that strategy is stupid. However, the only rational reason I can think of is that they are about to totally redesign the PowerBook line as drastically as they redesigned the PowerMac line, and it's taking them a farging long time. With that said, I bet *no* announcements on Wednesday. First announcement will come in January from San Fran.

Now, that's assuming that rationality can be applied to Apple.

25. macrumors 68000

Dec 30, 2001
    The SimCity Deli
    Well, today isn't tomorrow, so...

Jobs is toying with us. There probably will be something announced, matter-o'-factly, regarding upgrades.