Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

albert1028

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 29, 2007
To those who are upgrading their mac mini's hard drive.

I was a bit unhappy to see that apple used so much EMI gaskets in the 2012 mac mini compared to the 2011 mac mini. I am pretty sure it is the same chassis, but I had a really difficult time trying to pull out the PCB portion of the computer. I noticed that there are many gaskets where there never was and I understand to be given FCC class B device, but it's like Apple just slapped on some gaskets, which is unlike the way apple designs things.

I guess this is a cost savings move since they are using an "old" chassis.

So for those who are upgrading, some things require more force than before to remove them because of the gaskets that did not exist on the 2011 models. Guess the new processors and chipsets give off more EMI.

That-Guy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 25, 2012
UK
Thanks for the heads up will be doing this myself soon when the parts turn up.

Should be interesting :rolleyes:

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
Just upgrades the stock 1tb hdd in a 2012 mini (2.3 i7) to a 256GB ssd and used the 2011 guides no problem.

I think some advice might be to only pull the logic board out enough so the hdd clears the case (unless you are putting in dual drive tray). I pulled it out a little further than it needed to go and when I reattached it I had to jimmy the gasket around the power connector a bit.

Wasn't too bad though, runs like dream now with my 3tb Lacie aluminum usb3.0 external harddrive holding my itunes and iphoto libraries...

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.