Noticing Weird Things with my Mac

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by lisnomis, Jan 4, 2005.

1. lisnomis macrumors newbie

I don't know if I am just crazy or not, but I thought I would ask upon the greater knowledge of the mac forum for some help:

Lately I have found that my mac's personal settings are doing strange things. (I use an ibook G3 800mhz with Mac OsX Panther, fully updated)
    1. Mac Harddrive icon does not stay at the top right, I find it somewhere else when i start my computer. (I usually just ignore this)
    2. Just recently, icons have become messed up!!!
    ex1. shared folder from a PC than I am networked to, had an excel icon (I was using excel at the time???)
    ex2. a zip file for my palm; the icon has changed to a microsoft word icon???
    3. My personal settings for folder viewing has changed all of a sudden. for example, I usually had it set on the panel by panel view, but many of my folders have turned into the icon view... not a huge problem, but why would my comp. do this... I love my mac:(
    4. Seperate note, iphoto is extremely slow with all my photos, is there a way to speed it up, or a better program?

Could this be a Virus, or just me???? Anyone else have this problem...
    (could it be connected with the crash of Poisoned - a p2p program I once and a while?)

2. rogerw macrumors 6502

had the same thing with the harddrive icon. intermittently.
    yep, i photo is slow with ibook- same specs as yours although not much faster on g4 imac
    not the other things though, someone been fiddling?

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Try repairing permissions and running the daily/weekly/monthly jobs using MacJanitor.

4. rogerw macrumors 6502

really funny, HD icon hasnt moved itself for a while now. Run all these and just noticed its moved again. Oh well, never mind (ta anyway)

allo wots going on.....a battery low warning has appeared. Even though the battery is fully charged

and the hd icon has moved yet again

5. lisnomis thread starter macrumors newbie

MacJanitor? interesting but is it actually true?

according to the programs description:
    "These scripts are normally run between 3am and 5am, and will not be run if you shut off your Mac at night. This will allow log files to grow very large, and prevent system databases from getting backed up.

With MacJanitor, you can run these scripts 'by hand' periodically without having to use the Terminal to keep your Mac OS X machine in top racing form."

Why would anyone keep their computer on all day, all the time??? Does it not waste tons of energy or damage the computer from overuse? I thought computers saved the personal settings and organized the harddrive when shutting down... I guess not

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Unix the underpinning of OS X is used to being kept on all the time, and it is not harmful at all to leave your computer running all day and night, i let my powerbook stay on all night, granted the screen sleeps and such, but there is no harm done to the hardware......it used to be more detrimental to the computer to keep it on all of the time, but today's hardware can handle it no problem

7. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

When you're not using a computer it will usually go into an energy saving mode... the screen will turn off and the cpu will 'idle down', the HD will often wind down, fans will slow down, etc. The iMac G5, for example draws less than 180w at full bore, which includes the screen... is a powersaving mode it must be a tiny amount of electricity being used...

Anyways, sorry I can't help with your problem.