Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
for weeks now my 6S+ will, with out warning, make a notification tone like I have a text message. I check the phone and there is no reason for the tone that I can find.

Anyone else?

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
for weeks now my 6S+ will, with out warning, make a notification tone like I have a text message. I check the phone and there is no reason for the tone that I can find.

Anyone else?

I've had this happen a couple of times but not recently at all. When it happened to me it was early 9.0 beta (was either 9.0 beta 1 or beta 2) and never again since. No clue what could be the cause but I have had it happen in the past.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Do you have any other devices? Maybe an ipad? It is possible the badge is showing there and for some reason you are just hearing the tone on your phone.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It is the generic one that I have been used to for years. Hate to change that.
I believe other apps can often or at least sometimes use the generic iOS alert tone for their alerts, which as I recall basically happens to be the default text notification tone. Which means it could be and likely is another app basically. I think in the past some people have mentioned having a running or a workout app that would alert them to something sometimes with sound alert but not a visual one.

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Original poster
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
I believe other apps can often or at least sometimes use the generic iOS alert tone for their alerts, which as I recall basically happens to be the default text notification tone. Which means it could be and likely is another app basically. I think in the past some people have mentioned having a running or a workout app that would alert them to something sometimes with sound alert but not a visual one.

I agree and have several apps like my Nest cameras detecting motion and a few more that uses the same text notification sounds. But when these apps do alert me, they always leave a message on the screen or at least are listed in my notification pull down screen. There is no evidence of these apps causing this but that is why I am asking to see if others with the same app are having the same problem.

Just 10 minutes ago my phone did another "phantom" notification and the phone was on my desk in front of me and it did not even activate the screen . . . nothing.
[doublepost=1455207862][/doublepost]
Do you have any other devices? Maybe an ipad? It is possible the badge is showing there and for some reason you are just hearing the tone on your phone.

That is what I thought might be happening but the iPad Air 2 and iPad Pro show no indication either. When I walk through my front door my 6S+, ipad Air 2 and iPad Pro ALL alert within a second or two due to the camera detecting motion, but they all show why the did this with a notification on each device.

This tone seems to come for no reason.

lagwagon

Suspended
Oct 12, 2014
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Is the phantom alert sound Tri-tone?

If so, as C DM said many apps use that alert sound for their notification.

Doubt check to see if you have any apps in Settings > Notifications that have Allow Notifications On but basically everything turned off (such as Show In Notification Center, Badge App Icon, Show on Lock Screen and Alert Style set to None) This could cause you to still hear a sound but you wouldn't see a thing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.