Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Hey all! Really loving my Watch though last night something odd started.

My notifications simply will not come to my Watch first. I know when my iPhone or iPad are unlocked they'll come there first (makes sense) but last night my phone was in my pocket and I kept feeling buzzes and no watch notification. If I didn't check my phone a few mins later I'd get it on my wrist. It was working fine but seemingly for no reason started to re-prioritize where it's sending notifications.

I searched on here and found some people with the issue that did restarts on both devices (soft and hard reboots) tried both but problem persists today too. Any ideas here? Thank you!

L-Tuned

macrumors regular
Oct 3, 2012
Was it a specific app/notification that you are not getting? It does even happen to my iPhone 6+ sometimes that I don't get notifications or push correctly.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006
I had a similar problem and a simple restart of the watch solved it. It's a glitch and I don't know if there's a rhyme or reason so I would just keep tinkering turning things on and off and doing hard reboots until it works again

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Was it a specific app/notification that you are not getting? It does even happen to my iPhone 6+ sometimes that I don't get notifications or push correctly.

I'm mainly noticing it with Messaging because I get the most notifications during the day in that app. However for a little while it was definitely all notifications. The second restart seemed to have fixed Mail (mostly) and the third party apps I get notifications from; that's not very often anyway. Messaging is definitely the main culprit which is actually my favorite to get on my wrist. I get hundreds on txts a day and to be able to view it and see if I need to respond (or respond quickly) on my wrist is the main reason I wanted the AW and when it works it's glorious. I'm so freed from my phone it's not even funny.

I think the other poster in this thread is right. It seems to be some funky software glitch for sure. Especially since restarting/rebooting helps incrimentaly, etc. very obviously points to a 1.01 software thing. Hoping they'll get it worked out in the near future! In the meantime restarting doesn't hurt every couple of days I suppose?

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
Just a note here in case anyone else is having this issue...

I contacted Apple Support Chat about this since it was getting worse and more intermittent. They had me unpair, back up, re-pair and restore from back up and that's fixed it this evening. Only issue is they have no idea as to why the watch lost its notification syncing. More than likely I'm guessing it's something they'll address in a future software update. The whole process took a bit...about a half an hour and really kills the iPhone and Watch battery. You also have to redo your Apple Pay card(s) when you re-pair. However if you're having this issue and rebooting isn't working this does seem to fix it.

papbot

macrumors 68020
May 19, 2015
Just a note here in case anyone else is having this issue...

I contacted Apple Support Chat about this since it was getting worse and more intermittent. They had me unpair, back up, re-pair and restore from back up and that's fixed it this evening. Only issue is they have no idea as to why the watch lost its notification syncing. More than likely I'm guessing it's something they'll address in a future software update. The whole process took a bit...about a half an hour and really kills the iPhone and Watch battery. You also have to redo your Apple Pay card(s) when you re-pair. However if you're having this issue and rebooting isn't working this does seem to fix it.
That does fix it but only temporarily. The simplest way is to go to your phone's Settings/Notifications/Messages, if Messages is the problem one which it is for most of us. Toggle Allow Notifications off and then on again. That will restore the proper function. But it is a software glitch that will have to be addressed in an update. Even though toggling will fix it the issue will still happen again. But it's a lot simpler to repeat this than completely wipe the watch by un-pairing.

Reactions: flur and mikepepe86

mikepepe86

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 1, 2015
That does fix it but only temporarily. The simplest way is to go to your phone's Settings/Notifications/Messages, if Messages is the problem one which it is for most of us. Toggle Allow Notifications off and then on again. That will restore the proper function. But it is a software glitch that will have to be addressed in an update. Even though toggling will fix it the issue will still happen again. But it's a lot simpler to repeat this than completely wipe the watch by un-pairing.

Oh wow this is GREAT! Thank you for that info. Wish I would've known this afternoon before I went through that whole process but oh well. At least I know if (when) this happens again it's a much easier fix. Really hoping they address in a software update soon. It's a fairly large issue in that it bypasses one of the major convinences the watch has to offer.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
Glad I found this, decided to search for the issue before making a thread. I've had my watch for 3 days and it just started happening to me today. Thanks papbot for the solution, worked like a charm. :)

flur

macrumors 68020
Nov 12, 2012
I've found that sometimes (but not always) a restart of the watch will cause the issue to come back. It'll go away with the messages notification toggle, so if I have to restart my watch for any reason, I just do the messages toggle as soon as it restarts so I don't have to deal with issues later on.

Jack426

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2015
North Carolina
I've found that sometimes (but not always) a restart of the watch will cause the issue to come back. It'll go away with the messages notification toggle, so if I have to restart my watch for any reason, I just do the messages toggle as soon as it restarts so I don't have to deal with issues later on.

Nice to know, I'll have to remember that. Thanks!

jannette

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2011
Bishop's Stortford
I chatted on line with Apple support today. I was told to switch from Custom to Mirror my Phone and then back again ....this was for email and messages.....and it worked for me!

Tmdlkwd

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2014
SoCal
I take it this " fix " works for email notifications too?
Just started happening w/ email 2 days ago

Yptcn

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2012
Paris
This happened to me today also . I called  care and they also had me unpair and set up the watch again .

This morning as I had no carrier coverage ,I had done a hard reset . Actually , that is the problem ! If you do a hard reset , notifications will go to your phone first . A normal reset ( just turn the phone off and back on ) will not cause that issue .

I tried both afterwards to make sure and sure enough ! It was a headache resetting my watch twice but at least now I know ;-)))

I hope this will help others .

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.