Notre Dame Students?

Discussion in 'Community' started by friarbayliff, Sep 21, 2004.

1. friarbayliff macrumors regular

I'm just trying to find out if any of my fellow Notre Dame students browse these forums. I see quite a few ibooks and powerbooks around campus, so I figured that I might find a few people here.

Gimme a shout.

2. Aaon macrumors 6502

Well, I'm an EE grad student, over in Cushing. Haven't actually purchased my own Mac yet, but it is my main computer at work. Nobody else in my research group wanted it, but I jumped on it. I am putting away money a bit at a time from my meager grad student stipend to buy a Powerbook. You're going into engineering, is that right?

Aaron

3. friarbayliff thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I'm an Engineering major, most likely CSE.

4. ashon3611 macrumors member

ashon3611

I see them on NBC sometimes... does that count?

5. friarbayliff thread starter macrumors regular

well...maybe

If you pay ridiculous amounts of tuition to see them on tv, then that counts :D

6. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I just drove up to South Bend a couple days ago, hadn't ever been to Notre Dame. Nice campus. I'll probably go back in eventually to take the official tour. Anything I should do? Its about 1 hour from Warsaw, so not that bad of a drive. I was a little curious as to how many students go there.

D

7. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

Used to live in South Bend a few years ago. I work for Purdue University and was on ND Campus several times to help with classes, judge science fairs, and such. Usually stayed away on football weekends. While the tailgating there is pretty impressive, ND tailgating pales in comparison to Penn State!

8. Aaon macrumors 6502

Notre Dame is home to roughly 10,000 students. Many people thus consider it a small college. Now personally, I did my undergrad work at a school of 1,300 people, so to me Notre Dame seems huge!

The campus is a beautiful place to visit. THe guided tour is really good, and you'll hit all the highlights, including the stadium, bascilica, the Main Building(home of the golden dome), and the grotto, not to mention a stop at the bookstore, which is a sight unto itself. The tours are given by student guides who have a remarkable knowledge of Notre Dame history and lore.

Well, if you can make it here on a football weekend, you'll see an amazing spectacle. Notre Dame doesn't have a homecoming weekend, because pretty much every football game is a homecoming weekend. There are huge tailgating parties, which are a lot of fun. On campus, the band puts on a concert, and then marches in parade-like fashion into the stadium (Friarbayliff may be able to tell you more about that!). The game itself is a blast to watch, and the student section generally goes wild. Good times.

As for the rest of South Bend... well, there is the College Football Hall of Fame, which, if you like college football, is pretty cool. There is also the Studebaker Museum. South Bend was the home of Studebaker untill they went out of business in the early 60's (I think).

The Hummer plant is also located here, though there are no public tours. Basically, South Bend is a regular little town, with an exceptional university stuck in the middle of it!

Aaron

9. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

I'd like to take the official tour just to see the stadium. Its always interesting to see a game on tv after you've been to the place.

As for large schools, tailgaiting and parties: I went to Ohio State. Its hard to imagine a more crazy football Saturday :D

I went to the book store this last trip and bought a few things, including some used text books. It was fun going down the isles of books and seeing if there were any interesting things available. I bought a history book on Pyrates :D and a film/video directing text. When I went to the cashier with all my stuff (had a few other things besides the books) she asked me in a questioning voice "Still buying text books?" I had to laugh, and said sort of. Nice thing is knowing that I wasn't buying any at that point that students needed for class....

D

10. friarbayliff thread starter macrumors regular

As a matter of fact, I would be able to tell you about that. I'm actually in the ND marching band. The concert we give before the game is unbelieveable, usually with about 10,000 people crammed around the front steps of the architecture building. Afterwards, we march to the stadium with several thousand people bunched along the roads and sidewalks to see us. It's quite an experience.