November 13, 1997

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by emw, Dec 12, 2005.

1. emw macrumors G4

emw

What is this date, you ask? An important date in international political history?

The birthday of someone famous?

The launch date of some groundbreaking Apple product?

No.

It was the expiration date of some lemon juice concentrate that we just threw out tonight (after, I must admit, my wife used it the other day in a recipe). We moved into our house in September of 1997, so it's highly likely that this particular bottle actually came with us during the move. :eek:

So what's the oldest food item you've ever thrown out?

2. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

1992 tuna sandwhich left in my school bag.....that did a number on my parents house.....does this count?

Bless

3. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

:eek:

One time, we had such old orange juice that it had like... congealed or SOMETHING! When I poured it out, it looked like egg yolks.

I think it was a year or two old.

eww

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This reminds me of something I've always wondered - why is there an expiry date on sour cream? What, if you leave it too long it will turn good? :confused:

5. acceber macrumors regular

GROSS.

I had a sandwich left inside a paper bag that I didn't eat from my dancing days. It would have been a couple of months old. Went to investigate the smell in my closet and puked when I found it.
    Makes me almost gag just thinking about it now.

6. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Damn, dude...well, I haven't been living by myself long enough to have accumulated anything that old. I've thrown out stuff that's been expired for a few months or so, that's it. You've definitely got me beat :)

7. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

RBMaraman

Last summer after my Grandpa died, my dad and I threw away a jar of mayonaisse.

EXPIRES: July 15, 1982

It had never been opened.

8. masterapple04 macrumors regular

A couple weeks ago, I threw out a package of hamburg from July 2001.

Also, there are some jars of BBQ sauce and cans of Spaghetti-Os in our pantry that have been around since I was about 4 or 5, so they're about 13-14 years old. I leave them there to see how long I can.

9. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

The key would be when you found it, I suppose.

Yeah, that's pretty bad. My great-grandmother-in-law is a pack rat (she's 96). I can only imagine what's in that refrigerator.

Do Spaghetti-Os go bad? Or more to the point, are they ever actually good?

10. comictimes macrumors 6502a

comictimes

I don't know how old it was exactly but several years ago my parents and I disposed of some old cream cheese. It had turned into a solid grey-green mass that had shriveled up slightly and stuck itself to the sides of the container... not pretty

11. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

lets just say that sndwhich stood the test of time because it was in there for a real long time...like till the summer of 1994. the maggots already had there way with it ;)

Bless

12. masterapple04 macrumors regular

When you're 5, Spaghetti-Os are the best, at least in my childhood. Don't make fun of my childhood!

(Runs into a corner and cries.) :(

13. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

Great thread!

I helped run some network wiring to classrooms at a high school a few years ago, and when we opened up a ceiling panel in a hallway in the humanities building we found a milk carton with an expiration date in the 1960s. And it still had some former milk in it! :eek:

14. maya macrumors 68040

maya

Now if this thread was about wine, I would salivate at that 1960 date. ;) :)

15. Laser47 macrumors 6502a

Laser47

Last year our teacher was having problems with his student computer (It was a Dell), the computer was about 6+ years old. On boot it would say "Check CPU Fan" instead of waiting for the school people to fix it he asked me and my friend to se we popped it open. There was tons of dust in it and amidst the dust was a..... bottle of milk, I a Computer!!. We looked at the exp. date and it was 2002 so about 3 years old. It was totaly disgusting there was milk still inside but it was a jello like. Good thing we did not open it.:rolleyes:

16. Aarow macrumors 6502a

Last summer, when we redid the basement, we found some old Mcdonald's bag and beer cans in the ceiling, not food, but they were old!

17. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

This thread has brought back the awful memory of me drinking sour milk one morning. I can't remember the date on it, but there were lumps at the bottom of the carton.

I swear, I had some sort of PTSD after that. I always make sure to check its OK before drinking now. :eek:

BLUHH!!

18. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

Don't worry - I've eaten those, and worse, long after I was five :p

Now that's a good one. We work with a communications vendor that used to put a rubber chicken, I believe it was, into their hardware. If anyone asked about it, they knew they'd violated the warranty and opened the box. Eventually, though, it sort of became a joke.

19. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

Pft, they sell them 2 cans for 99 cents.

I LIVE ON THEM!

oh so good the spaghettios.

I hear if you age twinkies, they turn to liquor.
    Also, yoohoo has no expiration date.

anyone care to do a little experiment? :D

20. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

I bought a 12-pack of Corona back in April 2003, for the BBQ we had on my son's 2nd birthday party. There are still 10 in the fridge. I'm not much for drinking.;)

Think they're still good to go? Maybe I need to buy another lime.

21. emw thread starter macrumors G4

emw

You mean you don't still have some left over?

22. watcher2001 macrumors 6502a

watcher2001

Kind of the same thing I have always wondered about pretzels. They are stale already.

23. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Don't they get, like, softer or taste really bad?

When Potato Chips expire, they loose their "crunch" and become soggy and nasty!

24. Oryan macrumors 6502a

Oryan

I think it depends on the type. I've had some pretzels that get stale a few days after they've been opened. But I found an open bag in my room the other day that had been sitting around 3 months and they tasted fine (still crunchy).

25. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

I dated contortionist, which is kind of like a pretzel, and her birthday was March 14, which is kind of like an expiration date, oh - and the relationship expired which is kind of like it applies to this thread... :D