November 17, 1994: Apple Settles with Carl Sagan

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Nov 17, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors G4

Chundles

Yup, ordinary people have brain-explosions, Carl Sagan had a brain-supernova.

3. macrumors 65816

jholzner

What an ass. I've lost some respect for the guy.

4. macrumors 68000

RichP

I agree. Reminds me of when there was the the whole Ben and Jerry's "Cherry Garcia" thing. A company, albeit a for-profit one, honors someone with naming a quality product after them (not a mockery of the celebrity) and the celeb turns around and sues them.

5. macrumors member

ctango

Seems a little different though. That was a publicly sold product, what Sagan sued over was an internal name for a computer. DHA is a good acronym for him. I'd be interested in what the settlement was. According to Wikipedia :

For now on if anybody refers to Carl Sagan, I'll replace his name with "BHA" in my response, just to see if they know what I mean. If the don't I'll say it's Carl's real initials.

6. macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I remember thinking at the time that if anybody had grounds to sue Carl Sagan for defamation of character, it was Carl Sagan. He was such a widely admired person before he picked this stupid fight.

7. macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Yeah, I wished this would never have happened. I like Sagan quite a bit, and He (and Cosmos) is pretty well responsible for my astronomy knowledge. I have Cosmos on DVD. I've read his books, including Demon Haunted World, and Contact.

While I totally see his point about being associated with pseudoscience, bringing a lawsuit certainly shouldn't have been the course of action. It damaged my opinion of him. It's like finding out your favorite beer is really made from Michelobe Ultra.

I guess being a public figure requires one to maintain said public figureness.

8. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

I agree. Carl Sagan does know how to bring things to the general public -- he brought an otherwise obscure codename to the fore with a frivolous lawsuit. If he hadn't have brought the lawsuit about, this codename would have been relegated to obscurity.

9. macrumors G5

nagromme

I keep hoping the Cosmos sountrack will pop up on iTunes.

10. macrumors 6502a

Marble

11. macrumors 6502a

Lixivial

Indeed. I still use Sosumi as my default system sound. :)